• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Storage Furniture/Built-ins

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Master Squirrel and I have a problem.

As much as I try to remain "shoe" sober, I keep buying more. I don't know. Maybe it is the leather, the warm browns, shiny blacks, soft suede.... I digress, my shoe collection is not point. Winter is coming along and as a winter project I am thinking of making a cabinet of some sort to store and display my growing collection.

As part of my research I was wondering how other gents and ruffians store their shoes. Do you have a special cabinet or built-in? Are they displayed? Do you put them under the bed? Pile them up in the mudroom by the Felix's litter box? Are they near the coffee beans where you can use them to grind coffee in the Civil War style?

Are there any cabinets or displays that you admire? Any failed ideas that I should stay away from?

Pictures and humorous flames appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I like how there is a raised strip on the shelves to hold the shoes in line. The carvings give me some ideas too.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine sit, artfully arranged, at the bottom of my work wardrobe. My casual wardrobe being reserved for sneakers.

Out of curiosity how many pairs do you have?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a few other threads on that same topic with pics, etc... As vox can attest, I'm a rolling shelves kinda guy

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone tried dress shoes in one of these?
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80156120

Either the 2x2 or the taller 2 unit model.

It claims to hold at least 8 pairs (12 for the taller one)...but is this 8 pairs of womens shoes?
If it didn't mar the polish on the shoes, I could deal with something like this. 8 pair is enough to take care of my dress shoes and hide away a few casual shoes and I have a space that would be perfect for something that only stuck out from the wall 8"

GBer

Reaction score
IMHO, one can only justify such an expenditure if you have several bespoke shoes or some really exotic leathers

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just built some shelves in our closet when I designed it. Thinking about putting a few of the shelves on rollers, so they can be pulled out.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
IMHO, one can only justify such an expenditure if you have several bespoke shoes or some really exotic leathers
I do have the equipment, time and skills to undertake such a project . Short of cruising and logging my own timber, forging my own hardware and making my own glass, the raw materials are relatively inexpensive. This project should cost less than a pair of AE seconds (unless I chose to cast a golden quadriga to mount on the apex). Love the Ephtee BTW. *Thinks for a minute about converting one of the trunks in the basement...

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I reside in an apartment, I am unable to create a built in, nor do I have the space to keep a large dresser just for my shoes. I have been looking at several cedar racks and also racks that hang over the door to my closet. I have searched through and read many of the old threads on the forum, but can't seem to find many examples that are similar to what I am looking for. Any suggestions, or examples from those of you that currently floor racks or over the door hanging racks? Thanks. -LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads