1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Stock Up

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alaaro, Dec 20, 2004.

1. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

I need to get a new pair of both brown and black dress shoes. Any recs on where to get a decent pair of each? I'd like to keep it cheaper, but get good shoes. I saw some Ken Cole auctions on ebay, and could land a pair of each for $150 total. Does anyone know of discount stores where they have gotten about that or cheaper for good dress shoes?

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

Don't mention Kenneth Cole here, that's blasphemy. You could be stoned for it. Bottom line is, for $150 you can do a lot better than Kenneth Cole, even for both pairs of shoes. I'm sure some experts will chime in.

Dan

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Look on ebay for Allen Edmonds online store. You can get quality shoes for under $150, although you may have to be patient on styles/sizes. Of course, post-Christmas sales will be coming up soon.

Don't buy Kenneth Cole.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I've owned a few KC products, a couple pair of shoes and a leather bag. My experience is that at least the leather goods are a little trendy, under-quality, and over-priced. And that goes for most of the rest of KC lines as well.

5. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

yowza. Didnt realize Ken Cole had such a stigma attached. I have a couple pairs of KC shoes, that have worked out ok. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into Allen Edmonds.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Other options include Bluefly's Polo options and Sierra Trading Post. There will be discount codes floating around periodically for each. Again, if you're not in a hurry you ought to be able to find a good deal after Christmas.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

You may want to check out DSW at Pentagon City (Pentagon Row).  Also, Nordstrom (the department store with the best shoe selection in D.C.) has a Half Yearly Men's Sale starting the day after Christmas and may have some nice shoes in your price range.

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I owned several Kenneth Coles during my sartorial evolution. I liked them because I thought they were well made and trendy, with workhorse lug soles for my college tramping around.

They're crap. After 3 weeks the leather will never take a polish; it's hard and hurts like hell; the shoes crease something awful, and the shoes aren't well made -- they come apart or unglued after a year or two. If I spend over $50 or $100 for a pair of shoes I expect them to last me years with proper care. I threw these away after a progressively more painful 2 years -- they were in bad shape well before then.

Don't fall for Kenneth Cole's obnoxious Benetton-like faux-political advertising shtick. Just like Benetton, jazzy advertising can't make up for a low quality product. If you want comfort in the same price range, buy an Ecco or something. If you want durability, buy Paraboot. If you want style, buy a John Fluevog or something.

9. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior Member

I have a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes I gotten almost 8 years ago back in college. It has a thin rubber sole and heel so it's decently acceptable. The leather is that hi-shine leather that all of us here detest with a vengence. The sole is finally coming unglued but still relatively holding up. I find this type of leather excellent for rain and snow since nothing seems to harm it. A quick wipe and some shoe cream and this crappy leather shines again. So now I use this shoe for bad weather days.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

I'd recommend Allen-Edmonds, Aldens, and Magli's for $150 or less.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

And where in the Greater Los Angeles area...or all of SoCal for that matter...is one likely to find Aldens at $150 or less? Please let me know and I'll be after them like a shot.

12. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

why not call me and see what i can do for you or wait for the new Grenson stock?

13. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

I think for the price -- the AE on discount are very good (I even like them at full price).

If you can manage it, you might consider Alden's at your Brooks Bros. after Christmas sale.

They'd be a bit more than $150 each -- but you'd have them for ever -- and when it comes to shoes -- you shouldn't skimp if you can manage it.