• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Sole Protection - Toe Taps / Toe Plates

Morgan

Reaction score
Can toe taps be installed after the shoe has been worn a few times, or must they be installed prior to any wear and tear?

On days that I walk to work, I put about 2 miles of concrete and asphalt wear on my shoes. Today I'm sporting a beautiful pair of black wholecuts by Grenson for Paul Stuart, and after just two or three wears (at formal events, not even walking that much) they're looking a little worn-down at the toe. It must be something about my stride.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can put them on any time. remember they are nailed on, so it's not quite non-invasive.

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
Best to put on unworn soles (as a preventative measure), but definitely not a problem to get them on worn down soles.

However, depending on the current amount of wear on your soles as well as the type of taps you get, the taps may not sit perfectly flush with the soles' edges. So if you're looking to visually "disguise" the worn down toe with some taps, this may not work very well.

Hanseat

Reaction score
When you consider putting taps on the toe of your shoe I would recommend against that. a) It restricts the natural rolling movement and b) scratches hardwood floors easily.
Instead I walk quite a bit in my new shoes until the front of the sole has worn down quite a bit and then have a cobbler put on the same rubber that he uses on the heel. Works well for me- just make sure not to drain that part of the sole in leather oil or else the glue won't stick as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads