• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Size Dillema -- True to fit?

OilOrBust

Reaction score
For many years now I've been told I wear a 10.5 US, normal width. I've bought less than expensive, casual dress shoes -- ie Johnston and Murphy's mostly. They have been comfortable.

However, I've decided to take the next step and purchase a higher quality shoe, and in my research I decided to size my own foot. Printed out the size sheet, taped it together, and put my heel on the hot seat.

Size 8, and just a tad into the gray zone on either side. It says if I stray too far into the gray, I should consider a Wide, but, it wasn't much so I'm not worried about that.

But a size 8? My foot is 10 1/4 and 4 3/8 wide.

Have I been missing out on that "perfect fit" all along and buying shoes way too big?

Just put on my J&M, and measuring from my toe, to the end of the shoe -- I have 1.325 inches of empty space.

Some guidance guys!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whatever is comfortable. and yes, you should use the measuring device as a starting point.

I own sneakers and dress shoes shoes marked from "9" to "11.5". they all fit me

oneade

Reaction score
if the shoe fits well and you're comfortable...

btw where did you get the size sheet from?

OilOrBust

Reaction score
Did a search on the net and it came from Payless of all places.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneade
if the shoe fits well and you're comfortable...

+1

According to shoe measuring devices I'm an UK 7.5-8; however, because of the width of my feet (and the idiosyncracies of particular manufacturers) I wear anything from a UK8.5 to UK 9.5...

OilOrBust

Reaction score
I think the answer is obvious, but is a 1.25 inch gap between the end of my toe and the point of the shoe a bit much?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OilOrBust
I think the answer is obvious, but is a 1.25 inch gap between the end of my toe and the point of the shoe a bit much?

not really since it is not a 1.25" uniform gap between all of your toes and the point of your shoe. how does that pair of J&M feel in terms of width?

You seem to have a very wide foot, not sure about size 8 wide though.

OilOrBust

Reaction score
JM feels good on the width, after a few wears out plenty of room honestly. I'm going to try a 9D and see how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads