• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Size Confusion!

foto010101

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am seriously thinking of buying a new pair of shoes. However, I don't know which size to order.

All of my shoes are size euro 43. I measured my feet and they are both 28.5cm/11.23inch long and 10.8cm/4.30inch width. However, when I look at the internet to convert my european shoe size to the american shoe size there seem to be different opinions! Some say a euro 43 equals a US 11.5. Others say a US 11.5 equals a euro 45. What is the truth in general?

Which US size is the right one for me? By the way, I am looking for RL captoe shoes, maybe this helps.

Please help me with this issue.

Mike

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foto010101
Hi there,

I am seriously thinking of buying a new pair of shoes. However, I don't know which size to order.

All of my shoes are size euro 43. I measured my feet and they are both 28.5cm/11.23inch long and 10.8cm/4.30inch width. However, when I look at the internet to convert my european shoe size to the american shoe size there seem to be different opinions! Some say a euro 43 equals a US 11.5. Others say a US 11.5 equals a euro 45. What is the truth in general?

Which US size is the right one for me? By the way, I am looking for RL captoe shoes, maybe this helps.

Please help me with this issue.

Mike

there's no universal conversion system. every shoe last fits differently. my suggestion is trial and error.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think 43 is more like a US 9.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not to contradict Manton, but depending on brand, I'm usually a Euro 43-44 and in US shoes a 10.5-11 (I'm an 11D in Allen Edmonds and Ferragamo). In my experience, a US 9 is closer to a Euro 42, but again, it varies widely by shoe.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
it really depends on who makes the shoe...of course that isnt always true either as I have a pair of prada sport shoes that run larger than my prada dress shoes that run much smaller than their actual size.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am by no means certain. I am a 46/12, and a friend is a 42/8.5. He also says that most of the better Euro makers make in half sizes. Thus it would seem strange to me that 43 could be 11.5, or even 11. But of course, trying on the shoes is the only way to know for sure.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am by no means certain. I am a 46/12, and a friend is a 42/8.5. He also says that most of the better Euro makers make in half sizes. Thus it would seem strange to me that 43 could be 11.5, or even 11. But of course, trying on the shoes is the only way to know for sure.

I wasn't really thinking that a 43 would be an 11.5, but rather that a 43 would be about a 10/10.5 and a 44 about an 11/11.5. That would be in keeping with what iammatt mentioned, being a 42.5/9.5.

I wonder if shoe brands, especially designers, sometimes make their sizes odd to encourage (require?) that prospective buyers go to the boutiques. I know that the LV and Prada, for example, always seem to run VERY large (I've seen 8's and 9's that are about two sizes larger than that).

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also a 43 and it corresponds more closely to a 9.5 and sometimes a 10 depending on the shoe. Definitely not a 11.5.

Almighty1

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the brand because I can tell you that even for athetic shoes, the European size number does not correspond with the US number for each different brand.

Let's take Europe 43 as a example. It comes out to Nike - US 9, Reebok - US10, Adidas US9.5. Adidas is really 43 1/3. And I can tell you that a Reebok US9.5 is the same size as a Nike/Adidas US10 while Nike's Air Jordan line would be a US9.5.

While we're on the subject of shoe sizing... I have a question, supposed I'm talking about one brand of Men's dress shoes such as Ferragamo in their Tramezza line. Assuming that size 9D was too narrow and size 9E and 9EE were not available even to order and 9 1/2EE which was the one that one physically tried but it left a 1/3 gap in the rear of the shoe, how well would a 9 1/2D fit? Because I know Neiman-Marcus as a example for the local San Francisco store says they only carry shoes in the D width and if one needs a 9 1/2 wide, then get a 10D instead.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
43 = UK 9 = US 9.5 to 10. Fit of course varies from brand to brand.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think 43 is more like a US 9.

No I am EUR 42 and wear US 9, 43 should be 9.5 or 10

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
43 is a 10
44 is a 11
basically you just add 33
but it all really depends on what company your buyiing em from but thats the general sizing conversion

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads