• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe silhouettes

2quiet

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

New here, and wondering if you might be able to enlighten me as to what an 'elegant' shoe silhouette might look like. I hardly know what a shoe silhouette is to begin with, let alone how to determine the comparative quality of different ones. My interest is in regard to formal shoes to be worn with a dinner jacket / tuxedo. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

ktrp

Reaction score
You might argue that elegant is subjective to some extent, but with some underlying principles.

I'd suggest that for wearing with dinner jacket/tuxedo, that's irrelevant. You wear a traditional silhouette, period.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2quiet
Hi everyone!

New here, and wondering if you might be able to enlighten me as to what an 'elegant' shoe silhouette might look like. I hardly know what a shoe silhouette is to begin with, let alone how to determine the comparative quality of different ones. My interest is in regard to formal shoes to be worn with a dinner jacket / tuxedo. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

Patent Leather bowed pumps.

2quiet

Reaction score
If only I could find some bowed pumps which I could afford (student - next to no income). Am on the lookout on trading boards and eBay, so hoping!

Otherwise, what makes a 'traditional' silhouette? Other than those pupms am looking at oxfords (preferably balmoral), but even within those paramaters there seems to be quite a range of silhouette. Was just wondering how to tell the finer parts of that.

Thank you for replies!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2quiet
If only I could find some bowed pumps which I could afford (student - next to no income). Am on the lookout on trading boards and eBay, so hoping!

Otherwise, what makes a 'traditional' silhouette? Other than those pupms am looking at oxfords (preferably balmoral), but even within those paramaters there seems to be quite a range of silhouette. Was just wondering how to tell the finer parts of that.

Thank you for replies!

I have seen some amazing Church, and Edward Green ones on ebay. Much cheaper than retail.

2quiet

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....RK:MESINDXX:IT This is about the only round toed shoe I've been able to find in (what I believe to be) genuine patent leather outside of retail AEs. Curious what you think. Otherwise there are a few nice calfskin shoes around, but feel I probably prefer the patent. Still, not in a hurry to get them, so I can wait out ebay for longer, I've really only just started looking. Thanks again.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Elegant" generally means sleek, slim. For example, the opera pumps above vs. bulky Nike sneakers. Chunky sole, square toes, etc., are not "elegant." Extra aesthetic details - such as wingtips - also work against elegance, bows notwithstanding.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.