Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe shopping in london

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jcusey, Jan 18, 2004.

1. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

For those of you who are familiar with London, where would you recommend? Obviously, there's the Edward Green shop in Burlington Arcade and whatever bespoke shoemakers interest you, but where else?

I seem to remember bengal-stripe mentioning a store that sells overstocks produced by all or most of the English factories, but I can't find the post. Perhaps he can re-post some information about it like the name and the address.

2. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

Berluti on Conduit Street near Bond Street (also a location in Knightsbridge just off Sloane Street)

Crockett & Jones, Burlington Arcade and/or Jermyn St (next to Turnbull & Asser)

Tanino Crisci, Burlington Arcade

There is a shoe store on Bond St just around the corner from Conduit St (can't remember name) that sells C&J and Grenson, including some handgrades from each.

Foster & Sons, Jermyn St.

Lobb (readymade) Jermyn St.

Brioni (Bruton St around corner from Bond St) has a few nice shoes, perhaps by Green, though not sure

Polo R Lauren on Bond St has shoes by Green & C&J, though at inflated prices

Harrods has a selection of shoes from many makers, including Green (a few) and C&J, plus designers such as Prada.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The shop selling overstock and oddments is: John Rushton 93 Wimpole Street London W1G (behind Oxford street) 020 7629 1888 also try: A & G Martin-Stone 449 Edgeware Road London W2 (Maida Vale) 020 77239727 Martin-Stone is interesting as they have a number of shoes made to their own specifications (mostly by Cheaney), usually revivals of old styles, which you cannot find elsewhere. They have a triple-welted design, a battleship of a shoe. If you want to get Crockett & Jones, look here first: they sell C&J considerably below list price. It is also such a charming, old-fashioned shoe shop, just the way I remember shoe shops when I was a child. Of course you could take the train to Northamption and look for bargains in the factory shops of C&J, Trickers, John Lobb, but alas not EG (but if you were to go, phone them up, maybe things have changed). http://shoe-com-hp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/northampton_01.htm http://shoe-com-hp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/northampton_02.htm When are you going? If I don't "speak" to you before, here at this forum, have a good journey.

4. MPS

MPS Senior member

Jermyn St. isn't a bad place to go: you can check out John Lobb (RTW), Tricker's, Crockett & Jones, Foster & Sons and New & Lingwood. Wildsmith's is in an arcade off Jermyn St., but will doubtless be closed (I've only once passed by when it has been open). There is a shoe store called Gordon Scott on Bond St. which has a good stock of the major brands, including some exclusive styles (e.g. plain wholecuts by Crockett & Jones). If you have the time, you might want to head to Northampton to visit the factory stores.

5. jcusey

How could I have forgotten about Berluti <slapping head>? I've been looking for their RTW shoes (particularly the three-eyelet wholecut) for quite some time now. Thanks for the reminder.

6. jcusey

It's rather up in the air. Maybe mid-to-late March, maybe late April or early May. It's all still coalescing in my mind. I'm also thinking of taking a quick side trip to Northampton and another two or three day side trip to Budapest (and wondering if I'm a complete fool for thinking of doing so much).

Thanks for the information. I'm sure that I'll put it to good use.

7. MPS

MPS Senior member

Bengal Stripe seems to have responded whilst I was sending my last post. Rushton is indeed worth a look: they mainly stock Cheaney and Alfred Sargent.

Edward Green don't have a factory store as such, but if you're after a particular style then you can phone the factory and ask if they have any amongst the sale stock (this is only worthwhile outside of the periods in which they hold the sale in the Burlington arcade store). The John Lobb factory shop can be a mixed bag, though it's supposed to be excellent on the first day of the sale. If you're lucky, you can pick up a great pair of their shoes for £125-150.

8. jcusey

Thanks for the recommendation. Speaking of C&J, I know that their portfolio is much more extensive than what I've seen on their website or in their print catalogue. The Souliers.net website that bengal-stripe and others have mentioned has pictures of a number of C&J styles that I've never seen anywhere else. I'd be curious to see what I find in the C&J store and at Gordon Scott.
    I've already checked out the train tables. I would like to take a look at the factory shops, of course, but I'd also like to tour the Edward Green factory if possible. I'm sure that it would be very educational.

9. MPS

MPS Senior member

May I suggest that you go to the C & J store on Jermyn St.? The manager (can't recall his name) is excellent, and runs a pretty tight ship. Gordon Scott doesn't have an extensive C&J range, but they do have some "unique" styles. The Jermyn St. C&J store pretty much has the catalogue shoes, however you can sometimes spot models made for foreign markets in their sales. Northampton isn't exactly the nicest of towns, and I'm certain you'll be surprised when you see where the Edward Green factory is located. John Lobb has rather more commodious quarters, with a dedicated factory shop. As I said, phone ahead to check their stock: if you have limited time in the UK, then I wouldn't recommend that you go out of your way to visit Northampton if you're not assured of picking up a pair of shoes.

If you're a member of a club back home, be sure to check if they have a reciprocity arrangement with one the London clubs - many are well located and offer a great place to make a "pit-stop" when shopping.

10. thc

thc Senior member

How much are Berluti ready to wear models on average?

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

What, no one mentioned Cleverley? 13, The Royal Arcade 28 Old Bond Street. Originally posted by THC: [/quote]How much are Berluti ready to wear models on average?

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jcusey opened this post with: "and whatever bespoke shoemakers interest you"
    We all know, he knows Cleverley.

In England they call it: "Taking coals to Newcastle". (Do they say in Holland: "Taking cheese to Edam"?)

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by Bengal-Stripe:
    As we know he knows Lobb, Berluti, C&J. [​IMG] Just want to make sure he doesn't forget one of my favorites [​IMG] .

14. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

The Dutch equivalent expression would translate to something like: "Carrying water to the sea". I should think not too bad an expression given our centuries long struggle with water and the sea.

MtB

15. jcusey

A pair of Cleverley shoes is in progress for me. Of course I wouldn't forget them [​IMG] .