• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe-shop.com (UK) = bad

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered two pairs of Belstaff boots from Shoe-shop.com, a UK company. My order went through fine, and then a couple of days later I got an email saying that my address did not match the one my bank had on file and that my order had been cancelled, and that I should resubmit it. That may or may not have been true, as I use multiple addresses depending on where I want to receive goods. However, as soon as I ordered they removed the items (not just my size and color, but all sizes and all colors of the items) from the site, and after cancelling the order the items remained off the site. I emailed twice, bought a phone card and called only to find out they are only there M-Th 9-5:30 local time, and didn't receive a response until this morning. They tell me that my order was cancelled, and they are out of stock on the items and won't be restocking them.

Now, to me this indicates some form of dishonesty. If they didn't have the items in the first place, they could have cancelled my order and told me so. I would have been disappointed, but would have understood. If they really did have a problem with my card they should have put a hold on my order and contacted me to get it straightened out. Barring that, at least the items should have been put back on the site so I could immediately resubmit the order. Then they decided to ignore it a few days so even if they had had the items they might have been ordered by someone else and promised away.

Instead, I am left with no boots and no recourse, and a bad taste in my mouth. I wrote them basically the same note as I write you all. We'll see how they respond.

Don't expect to get what you order out of shoe-shop.com.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that they've mishandled your order. You're correct that they should have placed your merchandise on hold while they sorted out the problems with your credit card, so I sympathize.

However, I will also say that I ordered a Grenson Stowe from them last year for $150 and had no problems. So my transaction with them was satisfactory.

If I were the shoe-shop manager and received a complaint such as yours, I would contact you and ask how I could make it right. So you might consider how they could compensate you (perhaps a discount on a comparable item?).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always tricky ordering from overseas. I've never had a problem with www.shoe-shop.com (a pair of Grenson Rugbies), but I've had two orders to TM Lewin, from two separate credit cards (one mastercard, one visa) cancelled on me.

btw - if I remember my law right, and I could easily be wrong, Internet orders in the UK are considered offers, not completed contracts. Which the vendor can chose not to accept, and sometimes don't with sales. If that's correct, you're really out of luck.

fkl118

Reaction score
I order a pair of shoes from shoe-shop last year too when they had the Grenson sale. I got the shoes that I wanted, but I pointed out that the picture on the website did not actually match the model name. The next day, the picture was corrected, but in their reply email they said the picture was correct and didn't acknowledge that they changed it!
I knew what the Stowe looked like (and that's what I got), but if some one ordered this model thinking it was a boot as initially pictured on the website, they would have been left with footwear they didn't want.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
It's always tricky ordering from overseas. I've never had a problem with www.shoe-shop.com (a pair of Grenson Rugbies), but I've had two orders to TM Lewin, from two separate credit cards (one mastercard, one visa) cancelled on me.

btw - if I remember my law right, and I could easily be wrong, Internet orders in the UK are considered offers, not completed contracts. Which the vendor can chose not to accept, and sometimes don't with sales. If that's correct, you're really out of luck.

Not like it would be worth it for him to go to Britain and sue them over there anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads