• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe shining problem arose

masterphotog

Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious as to what started appearing on my AE Lubbocks while shining. Is this something that can be rectified/reversed or is this part of the leather now?

It seemed the more I attempted to buff with water, Saphir and my cotton cloth, the worse and more widespread it became.

Is there a name or term as to what's happening to the leather during my shining/buffing process? This hasn't happened to these pairs of shoes prior to now and I'm wondering should I continue this process (that's always worked before) on my higher end shoes?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.cs2photography.com/AElubbock1.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/AElubbock2.jpg

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the heat generated by the friction of your buffing, combined with chemical properties of the Saphir, has stripped the original finish. At the very least, you are over-working the leather. A dab of brown creme will full that down and add character to those spots so no need to panic. These are part of the Rough collection so let them get even rougher. In other words, no need to treat these as you would proper dress shoes. The finishing process on the Rough collection is different to begin with and may not take to traditional methods of polishing, or at least not to the extreme of the old school hard buffing that you have been giving them.
These leathers need only periodic lotioning and brushing and light buffing after, if at all.

Last edited:

masterphotog

Reaction score
Thanks, I was trying to get more than just the casual look out of these. When these are buffed to a nice sheen, they can be worn the the nicest pair of slacks and odd jacket I've got. I'm just trying to get more bang out of my buck on these.

These do look awesome dressed down with jeans and a sports shirt, I may just have to keep them for what they're intended for.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I was trying to get more than just the casual look out of these.  When these are buffed to a nice sheen, they can be worn the the nicest pair of slacks and odd jacket I've got.  I'm just trying to get more bang out of my buck on these.

These do look awesome dressed down with jeans and a sports shirt, I may just have to keep them for what they're intended for.

Thanks again!!

Trying too hard: That is not their lot in life.

Latour

Reaction score
These are the rough waxy leather and should not be polished. They sell leather lotion for these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads