Shoe Shining/Kits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Nov 30, 2004.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I think I want to start shining my shoes myself. Can anyone recommend a good, yet reasonably priced shoe shining kit?

Also, does anyone have any good shoe shining methods they would like to share?

Thanks

2. Phil

Phil Senior member

you can buy the wooden box at places like bed bath and beyond. that kit comes with some kiwi wax i think. A better plan would be to experiment with different polishes and waxes and see what you like best. For me its John Lobb shoe cream, followed by John Weston wax (has beeswax in it, makes for a very deep lustrous shine).

3. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Does this wooden box come with brushes, towels, etc.?

4. Phil

Phil Senior member

Brushes I think

5. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

6. kabert

kabert Senior member

My local Filene's Basement is even carrying shoe-shine kits.... (in DC). And, the CVS drug store (not to mention nearly any dry cleaner) around the corner from me sells all the stuff one would need -- brushes, chamois/rag, various polishes, waxes and cleaning fluids. Start small if you must -- buy some black and some brown cream and buy a shining brush.

7. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

I'd recommend Angleus over the Kiwi or whatever comes with the kit. Angelus is simply a better product. It is slightly tougher to work in to the shoe, but it doesn't spread apart like the kiwi. You can really feel it working into the shoe and layers a lot better as a result. I have to buy it on the web, but it's at the same price point as kiwi. You will notice the difference immediately.

8. Solitarias

Solitarias Member

By far the best stuff of them all is from La Cordonnerie Anglaise (based on bees wax - NO solvents added).
    I've tried them all, LCA is THE best.

9. novalis

novalis Senior member Affiliate Vendor

10. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

This one is nice. However, I have seen cedar boxes as well. I am having a hard time deciding if I will need a cedar box. My gut tells me no. Any opinions?

11. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Millerp @ 30 Nov. 2004, 1:35) You might find exactly what you are looking for here: http://www.shoeshinekit.com/index.html Their deluxe kit seems to have everything one would need.
    This one is nice. Â However, I have seen cedar boxes as well. Â I am having a hard time deciding if I will need a cedar box. Â My gut tells me no. Â Any opinions?
    I have one for all my gear. Woodlore (of AE) makes a quality one, made in USA. There are a few others. Or you could actually try EBay. The box is good for placing shoe, I find.