• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

shoe scuffing, nick or cut?

slicer

Reaction score

Newbie here just starting out on proper well constructed leather shoes. For the pair of shell cordovan shoes shown above, are those considered scuffs or nicks? can they be polished out with shoe polish or cream?

Thanks!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly scuffs and scrapes. Polish them as normal (for shell) and they will add character to the shoe.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed, put a light, glight coat of renovateur on them, then a small amount of wax and they will look cool.

slicer

Reaction score
thanks for the replies!

so there's no way of removing or lightening those marks via any polish or creams?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say with regular calf you can build up some wax polish in layers which would hide them very well, but you don't want to cover up shell cordovan with a lot of wax, it makes them very dull. Don't put any cream on cordovan besides a very small amount of renovateur followed by a very small amount of wax. The renovateur I find smooths out the finish quite nicely on cordovan and the light coat of wax will lock it in. Do this and just follow up with some brushing and they will be less noticable.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's loads of threads on here about cordovan care but I never use cream and only use a wax polish once in a blue moon.

All of the marks on those shoes will come out with a good few minutes of vigorous brushing / buffing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.