• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe scratches – the most stupid question of all

rfranca

Reaction score
I have a feeling this is a stupid question but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.
Are you guys able of avoiding daily nicks and scratches on your shoes ?
For some reason, as much as try to be careful, I tend to scratch my shoes quite often.
When it's a black pair it seems easier to disguise the nicks and scratches with some shoe products, but with brown (specially lighter) shoes it seems much more difficult.
I've seen some really nice shoes around here, some with exquisite textures like ray-skin, burnished leather, but kept wondering if the owner have been able to avoid any damage to the shoes or if they are able to remove it with treatment.
I see some pictures in this forum of shoes that people have for a long time and that look just as perfect as on the first day
Could it be the way I walk?
One of my colleagues said it's just unavoidable and something we all have to live with.
\tJust wanted to know if there's some secret

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
If by "nicks and scratches" you mean just scuffs on the shoes that mess of the shine, then yes, that happens to me all the time. If you mean actual damage to the shoe (which is what I think you mean) then no, I do not get them daily.

I think every pair has at least one spot of damage from catching it on concrete or the edge of a desk, but those events are fairly far and few between. It is going to happen, but usually one can just make do with some polish and keep on with a slightly less perfect shoe.

If there is a secret to avoiding such things that isn't prancing around delicately everywhere you go, I haven't found it.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wax lots and lots of Wax
smile.gif

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
If there is a secret to avoiding such things that isn't prancing around delicately everywhere you go, I haven't found it.

That or encasing them in Lucite which destroys them in many other ways.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry squirrel but your suggestion is not practical.
when deep damage occurs it is easily repaired with duct tape.

DandySF

Reaction score
Thank goodness for my local shoe shine stand, which was able to remove a white concrete abrasion from a pair of Alden cordovans. The slight depression is still there, but the white is gone.

http://www.ashineandco.com/

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
Thank goodness for my local shoe shine stand, which was able to remove a white concrete abrasion from a pair of Alden cordovans. The slight depression is still there, but the white is gone.

http://www.ashineandco.com/

you acted too soon. you would have saved money by using my fool proof system.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rfranca
One of my colleagues said it's just unavoidable and something we all have to live with.
\tJust wanted to know if there's some secret

Your colleague is right, it's often unavoidable. The good news is that wax/creme covers a multitude of scratches.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you scratch your shoes just right, they will purr with delight.

- B

greyinla

Reaction score
You can't compare your shoes to those worn (or as sho'nuff suggests, not worn) by SFers with a pristine shoe fetish. Merely trying on a shoe will put a crease in it, and wearing it outdoors will add all sorts of scuffs, scratches, and cuts. A good cream polish should help, but there's no way of avoiding them entirely.

Spend some time on the shoes with character thread and you'll feel much better.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you scratch your shoes just right, they will purr with delight.

- B

I heard it slightly differently as a child growing up outside of New York City and listening to am radio:

"Don't cook tonight -- call Chicken Delight."

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****,this reminded me of a relatively new pair of shoes I scratched yesterday. I don't know what happened, but the scratch is pretty significant and it is very visible,right on the toe. I think I slipped on a metal to have such a scratch. Question is, should I just glue the particle and wax/polish it or should I remove it? I won't take it to cobbler,too much hassle.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This usually happens to me after a drunken night at a bar. Now I have a pair of Paul Smith shoes I wear as "bar shoes".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads