• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe rubbing ankle

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of 11 E AE Park Avenues and was having some issues with creasing causing pain. I recently tried a pair of 11.5 D AE Strands (I also tried 12 Ds and 11.5 Es, both were too big in different ways) and they seemed to fit perfectly, with the creasing pain problem completely gone. I decided to play it safe and try them on on the carpet a few more times to be sure, and I discovered that my ankle makes contact with the side of the shoe when I step down, especially if I don't walk in a straight line. It doesn't bother me too much walking around the house, but I worry that throughout an entire day it could be annoying. Is this a breaking in problem (I don't see how it could be), or should I find another shoe that dips lower in that area to accommodate my ankle bone? I hate to entertain that option since I love the shoes, but I don't want raw ankles.
ankle.jpg

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Return the shoes.

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
I agree. Return the shoes. If this is an issue with other shoes that you wear you may want to consider custom shoes.

Best regards,

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are too big, and yes it will cause blisters/bleeding if you wore it all day

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

Any more specifics on your problem? Shoes that had the problem, and shoes you've found since that didn't?

Originally Posted by ShoesYouCanUse
I agree. Return the shoes. If this is an issue with other shoes that you wear you may want to consider custom shoes.

Best regards,

It's never been an issue before, but these shoes are my first real pair of dress shoes. The structure of my other dress shoes is much less rigid, and the leather is more flimsy, so they don't really compare.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
they are too big, and yes it will cause blisters/bleeding if you wore it all day

So, I've tried:

11 E - only problem was the crease, which was due to either the shoe being too tight/narrow in the ball, or the placement of the crease, or a combination, and I didn't notice ankle problem at the time
11.5 E - length was okay, no crease problem, but way too roomy, and I didn't notice ankle problem at the time
12 D - width was okay, no crease problem, but my heel slipped, and no ankle problem
11.5 D - shoe fits like a glove (no crease or heel slip issues, feels like just the right amount of room in the front) with the exception of this ankle problem

I should note that I tried putting some folded paper towels below my heel just to make sure that was really what was going on, and sure enough that worked. That doesn't really help me, but I thought I'd mention it.

Would a different last be worth considering, or would that not matter?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Insert a heel cushion.
It will raise your heel slightly creating some space at the effected area.

dan'l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

+1

I also have the same issue and it can be difficult to find shoes. Very often I see a pair of shoes that I like, only to find the bones of my ankle making contact with the side of the shoe. Return them; it just isn't worth the discomfort.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dan'l
+1

I also have the same issue and it can be difficult to find shoes. Very often I see a pair of shoes that I like, only to find the bones of my ankle making contact with the side of the shoe. Return them; it just isn't worth the discomfort.

So have you generally found that this is due to the particular model of shoe, and that different sizes of the model do not alleviate the problem? If so, are there particular brands or shoes that have worked well for you? Thanks.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just the bone; I have a raised blood vessel under my right ankle which hurts like hell with certain shoes. Funny thing is...it only happens with cheaper shoes.

dan'l

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Papa Doble
So have you generally found that this is due to the particular model of shoe, and that different sizes of the model do not alleviate the problem? If so, are there particular brands or shoes that have worked well for you? Thanks.

Yes, in general is it a particular model. I can't imagine that different sizes would help, since enough "ankle clearance" could lead to other issues, such as ankle slippage when walking.

There is no special brand of shoe that I focus on. If I see something I like, I try it on. But I am very attentive to "ankle strike" and do my best not to let the euphoria of buying new shoes mask potential problems!

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Insert a heel cushion.
It will raise your heel slightly creating some space at the effected area.

+1 i had a pair of shoes that tore my feet to shreds, after i put these beauties in they became really comfortable!

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It turns out that it was the particular pair of Strands that I got. I tried on another pair of 11.5 D Strands, and also Park Avenues, and they both didn't give me this problem. Go figure.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain

and it will hurt like a damn MFer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads