• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe resole question

videocrew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'll never understand. But surely you guys get why the OP wants his soles to look as they originally did?
I mean, yeah, that's a cool idea I guess. Then I wear the shoes 4 times and the bottom is scuffed and scraped to hell, and neither I, nor anyone else who sees the things can tell if they're the originals or not (as if anyone else even notice or care). I just ask my cobbler to make it look like they did when they were new, and paint the soles black if the shoes are black. Problem solved IMO.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand.

Doc, I just too my black unworn Grant to my wife 2 minutes ago...

Me*Isnt that a nice shoe*
She*Yes*
Me*Look at the beautiful sole, its brown and black and the waist is nice.*
She*Yes*...now a little boored...
Me*I think it will get spoiled if I wear it*
She, now looking at me funny,*You should put that little rubber thing they put on the sole to protect them*
Me, I couldnt believe she said what she just did, *but that looks so ugly*
She*then get rid of the shoes if you dont want to wear them*
I put the shoes back in the box.

Regards.
PS. She suggested Topying my Grants!!!!!!!!!!.....is that grounds for seperation???

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them its toppys or daddy. If they choose toppys, they need to be corrrrrrecccted.

videocrew

Reaction score
Or you could put them to work learning to replace your fast-wearing leather soles.
American children lack the constitution for sweatshop labor. They've gotten soft in the years since the industrial revolution. Pity.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could put them to work learning to replace your fast-wearing leather soles.

dont be poor

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
dont be poor

I could just as easily say "Don't be so OCD." I'd rather be cheap than uptight.

But I don't really care what you do. I can't imaging caring that much about this topic in general. Get 'em if you want 'em, don't if you don't. I'm always amazed that people have such depth of feeling.

It's a shoe sole. It goes on the ground, in the spit and the mud and the dog feces. It's unavoidably ugly.

Unless, of course, you just keep your shoes in the box.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can actually see myself doing what the poster wants to do. I have no explaination for it though. I just know that I would want it to be like the original.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My nearly 3 year old wore out the (hand me down from his nearly 5 yr old brother) rubber soles on boots, so even chinese rubber soles can be worn out. This can really be exacerbated by my son not using boot trees or alternating shoes. He just decided he would wear the same boots from wakeup to sleepy time....for 4 months.

Regards.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
My nearly 3 year old wore out the (hand me down from his nearly 5 yr old brother) rubber soles on boots, so even chinese rubber soles can be worn out. This can really be exacerbated by my son not using boot trees or alternating shoes. He just decided he would wear the same boots from wakeup to sleepy time....for 4 months.

Regards.

Now that's a boy who loves his shoes. A connoisseur in the making.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could just as easily say "Don't be so OCD." I'd rather be cheap than uptight.

But I don't really care what you do. I can't imaging caring that much about this topic in general. Get 'em if you want 'em, don't if you don't. I'm always amazed that people have such depth of feeling.

It's a shoe sole. It goes on the ground, in the spit and the mud and the dog feces. It's unavoidably ugly.

Unless, of course, you just keep your shoes in the box.

an obvious joke and I run into a soliloquy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads