• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Repair question

Beta

Reaction score
Quick question, as I have never had to take a pair of shoes to a cobbler before (I'm young).

I took my old AE McCallisters to a local cobbler here, because he said he would be able to resole and re-heel in just a few days rather than weeks. Payment was $55 for soles and heel.

1. Is he likely to just glue on soles instead of sew them on (AE sews them on, correct?)

2. Will this ruin them (should I be angry with him for cutting corners if I discover this is the case?)

This all said, these are very old shoes, albeit in mint condition...he was happy to see them at the very least, probably ten steps up from what he usually works on (although I live in a "old" money part of town).

Any advice is appreciated, particularly because I have another pair I need to get done soon...I probably shouldn't have experimented with my favorite pair with this guy!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you ask the cobbler?
sly.gif

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all cobblers will vary. asking your cobbler is the safest and fastest way, there's no way for us to know.

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Why don't you ask the cobbler?
sly.gif

Ignorance...I didn't think anything of it until I started searching on here later.

Still, if they are glued on, is this something to worry about?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beta
This all said, these are very old shoes, albeit in mint condition.
Are you sure they need both the heel and full sole replacement? Not doubting you, but the "mint condition" reference made me wonder. We've had some new guys come in convinced they need a new sole when the shoe just needs needs new heels and an a good scrub up. Also, the new soles should be sewn on.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at $55 it sounds like the "half-sole" job where they cut off the old sole partially. But you have to ask.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't let him glue them on. Just go back in and ask. Or call.

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Are you sure they need both the heel and full sole replacement? Not doubting you, but the "mint condition" reference made me wonder. We've had some new guys come in convinced they need a new sole when the shoe just needs needs new heels and an a good scrub up.

Also, the new soles should be sewn on.

I was referring to the topsides condition, but the shoes are 10+ yrs old. I don't know if its an accurate way to tell, but the leather was "soft" in the most worn area of the sole, and the toes weren't great either.

Guess ill find out tomorrow.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many years ago a cobbler glued soles on a pair of great shoes. They actually were the most expensive shoes that I had ever owned up to that time. The shoes were ruined and a huge lesson was learned. Be sure you know what the cobbler will do to your shoes.

m_wave

Reaction score
It's terrible, but on my glued shoes I just wait until the leather sole wears through and then install topy soles and nylon taps if I have wear patterns in the toe.

I would suggest calling him to confirm he will sew as not all repairers will do blake/goodyear repairs as they may not have the equipment. This is certainly true in Australia and I imagine similar for lower end cobblers in the US

Beta

Reaction score
Well, here are the results, now that I know a few things.

1. He had a lot more time to talk to me and answer my questions on a wednesday evening than saturday afternoon when i dropped them off, this relieved a lot of my fears about using him in the future, because he speaks intelligently as someone who takes pride in his profession, not at being the cheapest/quickest, etc.

2. I should have noticed a few pluses, 1. He very visibly had the proper equipment to do this, and it looked well used...plus he is an old eastern european man, and didn't appear to be at a loss for work in his "to do" pile.

*he looked at me shocked when I told him that I was relieved he didn't just glue a half sole on! "No sir, never with this shoe!"

anyway, I have a Toscana by global, made in italy super prime sole, stitched on, and a goodyear neolite heel. Stitching and staining all look acceptable to me, especially for what I paid and how quickly I got them back.

total price with tax, 58usd. dropped off saturday afternoon, got back wed.

pic to follow if i can get it to work

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well shiver me timbers, they look fine. $55 is a great price for that.

from your tax rate I can tell this isnt in california. too bad. The standard Northern California rate for something like this is $75 without respect to quality.

Beta

Reaction score
i agree, the pricetag was what led me to worry unnecessarily. I'm satisfied and told him I would bring him my other pair that needs servicing, not to mention recommending him!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads