• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Recommendation - Wide Forefoot, narrow heel

vincent.c

Reaction score
Can anyone make recommendations as to shoes??

I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and have the most difficult time finding decent leather dress shoes that fit properly. I also have a low instep or fairly flat foot.

I basically need a wide shoe, but then I'm swimming in the heels and they always fit loose. Bespoke shoes would be the best option but $1500 + shoes at this point isn't an option.

Anyone have similar foot??

Bandit44

Reaction score
I understand that the Alden Trubalance last is designed for those parameters. Allen Edmonds disappoints in this regard. I have a similar problem; wide forefoot and narrow heel, but with a high instep and high, rigid arch. I've had good luck using a shoe stretcher.

Also, vintage shoes tend to fit me better. Old Florsheim, J & M, and Nettleton seem to be cut with a a more comfortalbe combination last than today's more fashion oriented designs.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent.c
Can anyone make recommendations as to shoes??

I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and have the most difficult time finding decent leather dress shoes that fit properly. I also have a low instep or fairly flat foot.

I basically need a wide shoe, but then I'm swimming in the heels and they always fit loose. Bespoke shoes would be the best option but $1500 + shoes at this point isn't an option.

I have a similar foot with a low instep
I've discussed it many times on this Forum.
I wear 4E running shoes. The only dress shoes that I've found that fit
are Ludwig Reiters in the Ameirikaner last. Also, the Uniform last has been
added which should fit me. The shoes were purchased in Vienna.
They are probably at the Crockett and Jones or Alden price point.
The only vendor that I am aware of that carries Reiter in the US
is Massimo Bizzochi in New York at a ridiculous markup. I actually
called the store and they couldn't tell me the specific last(s) they
offered.

Good luck!

mrbig

Reaction score
Try Church's. They have practically every shoe in a wider fitting. C&J have a few wide fittings too.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent.c

despite the low instep, i knew the difficulty of a narrow hill.

though, i'm in europe and it's rather easy to find shoes or makers at a decent price point.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same situation. Plus one foot is a 1/2 size smaller than the other foot. Bad news is I'll never get a great fit in RTW on both feet. I have many pairs that are just perfect for one or the other, but too small or large for the other foot. A stretcher can work but in general I'd rather fit the big one first since a little big is not really a problem.

Good news is I can wear a wide range of sizes (10FUK to 11.5DUS) depending on the last, what socks, and what other things I do to modify the fit. With the small heel, heel pads and 3/4 length orthotics are good for filling the space. Tongue cushions are also useful. Stock up on a wide variety of these things and practice using them. It is a lot of trial and error, swapping out various orthotics and wearing them all day to evaluate the fit. Plus you can vary sock types. Note very thin socks are not as good at smoothing out the edges of orthotics so tight fits with hard orthotics can be uncomfortable for that reason.

Heel pads and tongue cushions and flat full-length inserts can go in without altering the size much. For the 3/4 and full-length orthotics I generally need an additional half size.

It is hard to make sweeping recommendations beyond trying different things. My forefoot may not be as wide compared to my heel, so my experience might be somewhat useless to you. Fortunately I'm about a D width in the forefoot in wider-toe shoes that have the arch length I need, so my problem is mainly filling the heel/ankle volume.

Boots are much easier to fit since I can size for the arch length and toe width and strap them up around the ankle. Swimming at the heel is not a problem with a snug fit around the ankle. Problem is boots wear hot in the summer.

In general English shoes (and Aussie RMW boots) have a larger heel volume to toe volume ratio. Of the English shoes that are better, try the 96 last from Grenson, which fits like the Alden Plaza last -- pretty low volume for the length and wider in the toe box than it looks.

Otherwise I've found the most luck with Aldens. The Snap/Grant, the Barrie, the Trubalance, and the Plaza can all work well. Also the Van last should fit you real well if you can get the size nailed. The other lasts are too narrow. I've long wanted to try the Modified last but have never had the chance.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The TruBalance heel isn't that narrow at all. Especially as you go up in length. The best bet is MTM. Saving that, pray that you stumble upon a shoe that works.

I meant to say modified last, not trubalance. Thanks for the correction.

Grenadier

Reaction score
I too have that problem somewhat; I've found that an E fitting in Lobb's 8000 last fits great. Lobbs can be had occasionally for $5-600. I happen to get mine at $300, although I suspect that will never happen again.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandit44
The modified last is: 1) only available in a few styles, certainly nothing that your average SF'er would be really interested in. 2) contains other corrective elements (I believe it has a stiffer outside sole for pronators but I'm not positive on that one) C) Awful looking

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandit44

The modified hast has a very limited selection of ultra conservative orthopedic looking
shoes in my opinion.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
C&J shoes on the 341 last would fit the bill nicely, IMO.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
C&J shoes on the 341 last would fit the bill nicely, IMO.
Not really. The 341 doesn't come in wide widths. The 348, 314, 318, and the 317 are the only lasts available in Fitting G, which is the equivalent of a US EE/EEE (more EE). Since they follow the English style, none of the lasts have a particularly wide toe box nor do they have narrow heels. They've also got normal to low insteps so that might work out well for the OP.

paolo1894

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I'm ever-so-slightly wider than 8.5E but my ankle/heel is narrow. How would Alden shell monk straps treat me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads