Shoe "ratings"  for NOS Florsheim Imperials

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NoVaguy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

How would you guys rate the old Florsheim Imperials (long wingtip style, with the nails, all leather heel and V-cleat) against 1) Allen Edmonds & Alden and 2) the current Florsheim Imperial Kenmoors (long wingtip).  

Let's use Pollock's scale, where 100 equals the AE Park Avenue (although in this case, substitute the AE MacNeil if you wish) and I think 105 is the Alden version.  Where would the recent and vintage Florsheims rate at?  If you have your own scale, throw that in as well (with a link or explanation or whatever)

I just recently won a NOS pair of the old style Florsheims for my father on Ebay for about 25% the price of the current Kenmoors.

(By the way - I'm going to cross post on AskAndy)

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

No response on this one? I am interested too!

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a pair of Florsheim Imperials - the "Kenmoor." Cognac pebble-grain, long-wing brogue, double sole, storm welted. Frankly, I'm not crazy about them. I do wear them, but they are pretty stiff and heavy. That may just be a characteristic of the double sole, but I find them slightly uncomfortable to wear all day.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I have a pair of Florsheim Imperials - the "Kenmoor." Cognac pebble-grain, long-wing brogue, double sole, storm welted. Frankly, I'm not crazy about them. I do wear them, but they are pretty stiff and heavy. That may just be a characteristic of the double sole, but I find them slightly uncomfortable to wear all day.

Thanks Baron. I have seen a good number of those on eBay for sometimes 30-40 USD, I'll probably pass then.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I have several pairs, some of the newer ones and some of the older (USA) ones, plus I have several pairs of AE, PLUS I used to sell Florsheim and AE. I know others don't agree, but I rate them all about equally. The newer Florsheim Kenmoors might not be finished quite as nicely, but the leathers are still superb (albeit CG for the smooth finished ones) and the sole leathers on all wear like iron. Leathers are very high in quality across the board. Can't really compare them to Alden due too little experience with it.