• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Questions: Burgundy antiquing & leather vs. rubber sole

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of these: http://www.endless.com/dp/B002U82PCG...SIN=B002U82PCG in burgundy. Some questions:

1. Shoe care! I've never owned burgundy shoes so I'm not sure which color/tint to get -- I tried searching but didn't really get many useful results and figured it's probably better on a case-by-case basis. Ideally I'd want two different colors:
A natural burgundy to regularly maintain the shoe
Possibly a lighter brown to antique it a little (I'd be interested in lightening up the sides/back a tad).

Polish or cream? Both?

2. Are there any good all-in-one kits? Do you guys use one brush per color, or can you use them interchangeably? I don't need any fancy boxes or carrying cases -- they could come in a plastic bag for all I care.

3. This has been debated a billion times, and I'm fairly certain I have an answer to this but an extra opinion wouldn't hurt. I'm on my feet a lot (and walk around in sub-zero frozen city streets) so would rubber soles be the best for me? I bought the same shoe in black but I can still return it (unused) and exchange for a leather-soled shoe. I just think leather's too slippery, cold, and uncomfortable for my situation.

If my searches failed, sorry; please link me.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polish mostly just has to be in the ballpark. Anything labeled "cordovan," "burgundy," or "merlot" should do. I'm only familiar with antiquing in the sense of darkening--I would think it would be difficult to lighten with polish alone.

Kiwi sells a decent combination kit, but it's not too elaborate. You basically need some kind of applicator (one is fine for multiple polishes), a buffing brush, a polishing cloth, and polish.

I do fine with leather on city streets. If there's snow and ice, you just need overshoes.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Polish mostly just has to be in the ballpark. Anything labeled "cordovan," "burgundy," or "merlot" should do. I'm only familiar with antiquing in the sense of darkening--I would think it would be difficult to lighten with polish alone.

Kiwi sells a decent combination kit, but it's not too elaborate. You basically need some kind of applicator (one is fine for multiple polishes), a buffing brush, a polishing cloth, and polish.

I do fine with leather on city streets. If there's snow and ice, you just need overshoes.

Neat. I've heard buying a cream or some sort of leather supplement is good too, but is this really necessary? From what I've read it seems to be personal preference.

Kiwi or Saphir Medaille D'or? Both seem to be good brands, do you/anyone have opinions as to which is better [and why]?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's corrected grain leather on the Bostonians. It's not going to matter what kind of polish or shoe shine stuff you put on there, and I don't think it will "antique" well. Just clean with a cloth and buff with a brush.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads