• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe question - one foot longer than the other?

randomax

Reaction score
Similar to a lot of other people, my feet are not the same size and this makes it very difficult to decide which size shoes to buy. Should I buy shoes such that the shorter foot fits properly and hope that shoe trees will stretch the other one out a bit or should I fit the longer foot?
Anybody have similar issues? Currently I fit the longer foot since I don't want to torcher my toes in case the shoe doesn't stretch.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torture.

When I go for the fit of the larger foot, I wear a Wigwam ankle sock on the smaller foot to compensate.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get shoes that fit my stronger foot

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I get shoes that fit my stronger foot
me 2. the other issue i have is that my larger foot also pronates worse than my smaller foot. so i buy a pair of shoes to fit that foot and my other foot just has to deal

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
me 2. the other issue i have is that my larger foot also pronates worse than my smaller foot. so i buy a pair of shoes to fit that foot and my other foot just has to deal
Same here.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If finances permit I suggest you order MTO shoes...then each foot can be accommodated and you won't be stuck with a one size fits all

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomax
Similar to a lot of other people, my feet are not the same size and this makes it very difficult to decide which size shoes to buy.

How much difference are we talking about? FYI, Nordstrom has a policy, if your feet are at least a size-and-a-half different, of selling you the right sized shoe for each foot, at the cost of a single pair.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fitting the larger foot is standard shoe sales/cobbler procedure

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

That's what I've been told, and it makes sense.

LookSharp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomax
Similar to a lot of other people, my feet are not the same size and this makes it very difficult to decide which size shoes to buy. Should I buy shoes such that the shorter foot fits properly and hope that shoe trees will stretch the other one out a bit or should I fit the longer foot?
Anybody have similar issues? Currently I fit the longer foot since I don't want to torcher my toes in case the shoe doesn't stretch.

My feet are both size 8uk but the right has more width/girth. I learned that buying wide fits or 8 1/2s for ther bigger foot just meant BOTH feet ended up too floppy over time. So i just put up with tightness and wear shoes round the house until they stretch in a little. I'm only talking a fairly modest difference, though - perhaps not the best strategy if it was a bigger.

Patrician

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of lovely suede brogue oxfords on sale for no money but due to my left foot being a bit shorter and wider the left shoe doesn't really fit. Sure I can put it on but it's snug, really snug. So, can I somehow widen the shoe a bit with, say, a larger sized tree? I need the shoe to fit!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
I just bought a pair of lovely suede brogue oxfords on sale for no money but due to my left foot being a bit shorter and wider the left shoe doesn't really fit. Sure I can put it on but it's snug, really snug. So, can I somehow widen the shoe a bit with, say, a larger sized tree? I need the shoe to fit!

You can buy stretching spray, alternatively the local cobbler should do it fairly cheaply.

randomax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

Do you know how the cobbler adjusts the shoe?

Impressive that Nordstrom has the policy. unfortunately, I think the sizing difference is atmost one in my case.

I have thought of wearing an additional sock but haven't done so yet. Probably the easiest solution.

Thanks for the suggestions.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A small insole or tongue pad should mitigate that. One full size is a big difference - would be surprising

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka