• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Question- khaki

Beta

Reaction score
*first post. I have been reading for a while though, ran a search and couldn't find what I was looking for:

I'd like to invest in a pair of shoes to wear with khakis, tan/light brown color.

Basically my question is, how nice of a pair of shoes can I wear without looking silly? I figure something like a cap toe is too much for something so casual, but I'd prefer to get something lace up (I probably need a pair of slip on shoes as well).

Whats the classiest I can get without looking overboard for when i dress business very-causal (khakis, dress shirts or polo)

Pics/links would be super, I'm new to shoe terminology.

Thanks in advance.

*oh, budget is say <$300us for now, if that helps

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A wing-tip blucher or a longwing might be a good choice. As would be a plain-toe blucher in my opinion. Examples:

Plain toe blucher:
polo1sz2.jpg

Wingtip blucher:

P1010518.jpg

EDIT: Apologies to norcaltransplant and zjpj, whose pictures I stole.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As Grim mentioned, bluchers are always a good choice. But you could also go with a boot, such as these chukkas:

harrington.jpg

Or a laceup:

waywgreennewboots.jpg

Or a chelsea, especially if you like slim khakis.

chelseas7-1.jpg

Also, sleeker loafers can work with slimmer khakis. I personally like suede with cotton trou.

Dirty bucks often work well:

bucks.jpg

You have a wide array of options, really. Though I agree that it's smart to avoid extremely dressy shoes. I've seen it done and the combination usually looks off to my eye.

Beta

Reaction score
I really like the first ones, but in a lighter color.

What is is that makes it a bulcher exactly?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good link. A blucher is more casual than a bal, and so more suitable for wear with khakis. My pictures were more for the style than particular suggestions (although I have both of those shoes and where them with khaki pants). Both those shoes are well beyond your stated price range at full retail, but there are many shoes in a similar style from almost every cordwainer.

coconut

Reaction score
I have been considering these for the same purpose: Exhibit A Are there any other options in this price range? It seems like everything else is either way down here: Exhibit B or way up here: Exhibit C

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I recently purchased some Allen Edmonds Belmonts off ebay ($130 shipped) to wear with khakis and have been very happy with them. By far the most comfortable AE last I've tried.
Belmont.jpg

Beta

Reaction score
those look great, but whats with the rubber sole?

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Do you mean &quot;why am I suggesting a rubber soled shoe&quot; or &quot;what is up with all the weird circles&quot;?

If the former -- I think rubber soles are more comfortable and a great choice in the summer and on casual Fridays when often I'm going out directly after work and 18 hours in the same leather soles would be uncomfortable. If the latter -- I acknowledge it is weird, but you don't notice them after they're on.

Beta

Reaction score
well, Im trying to steer away from rubber soles and get grown-up shoes, but those look fairly sharp actually.

I saw some shoes the other day thay were a combo leather sole, but with a layer of rubber on the bottom, I thought that was an interesting idea.

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beta
well, Im trying to steer away from rubber soles and get grown-up shoes, but those look fairly sharp actually.

I saw some shoes the other day thay were a combo leather sole, but with a layer of rubber on the bottom, I thought that was an interesting idea.

If you wearing with khaki, i doubt leather/rubber would not be of much concern.

coconut

Reaction score
Beta: grown-up shoes look all wrong with school-boy khakis.

Does anyone know of other options besides Allen Edmonds for < $300?

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I bought some an outstanding pair of Borgiolis and a pair of Marteganis last weekend at Franco's annual clearance sale. I paid $189 for the Borgioli and $159 for the Martegani. My wife thinks they are too dressy for khaki's, though I'm not sure.

The Borgioli:

38440m.jpg

I can't find a picture online of the Martegani unfortunately.

The prices are higher online, but still within your budget.

Beta

Reaction score
Points taken...thats actually my issue, I want nicer shoes than I should wear with what I want to wear them with. Id get more miles out of better black shoes for now and get more casual brown shoes for casual wear.

I appreciate all of this feedback gentlemen, very helpful welcome to the forum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads