• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Question: Crucify if Need Be

Chicago

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes and am debating where I need to go from here. For the last four years I've been sporting an old pair (they were in decent shape then) of AEs my dad gave me after my brown dress shoes were lost along with some luggage at the end of college. The AEs were good, I'd consider going back to them, but I had a nice pair of black wingtips from the same maker as the image below that were maybe the most confortable shoes I've owned aside from my running shoes. I'm not quite in the stage of my life yet where I need to be looking at Edward Green or anything along those lines (although I'm itching for the day I am at that point). I'm just curious what everyone thinks of the shoes below. They'll likely be paired with slacks 90% of the time so I'm not concerned with them being too casual.
75403_large.jpg
I didn't want the brand to necessarily make the decision for you, so I haven't mentioned it to this point. You'll be able to tell from the url if you're at all curious. Thanks for any and all comments.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the bicycle front in general, but that's a reasonably good looking shoe. I doubt they are welted, so you probably won't get a really long life out of them, but if you're okay with that and comfort is your main priority, then go for it.

Jetta

Reaction score
They may not last forever like some higher end brands, but that company does in fact make some of the most comfortable footwear I have ever used. I am not a huge fan of that style, the seams on the front just dont do it for me.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who made the shoes? it's hard to determine the quality without the manufacturer and somebodies experience with the manufacturer.

they look like foot-joy - is that right?

ok, it looks like, from the image source, that they're foot-joy. if so, they're goodyear welted and they're a very decent buy.

Chicago

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'm not a big fan of the bicycle front in general, but that's a reasonably good looking shoe. I doubt they are welted, so you probably won't get a really long life out of them, but if you're okay with that and comfort is your main priority, then go for it.
They are welted actually. More information about them here Comfort is relatively big as I tend to walk enough in them to not tolerate an uncomfortable (if only slightly) feel. I'm always up for suggestions from the peanut gallery (you gotta learn somewhere) so fire away.
wink.gif
And yes, they are Footjoy.

JohnMS

Reaction score
I have owned 3 pairs of Footjoy shoes in recent years. In my opinion, they are overpriced and were not that comfortable and so I gave them away. For that price (if full price is paid), I would recommend an AE shoe.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chicago
So I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes and am debating where I need to go from here. For the last four years I've been sporting an old pair (they were in decent shape then) of AEs my dad gave me after my brown dress shoes were lost along with some luggage at the end of college.

Forgive me if I'm making the wrong assumption, but it sounds like you're giving up on the AEs because they're no longer in decent shape. If that's the case, I'd encourage you to think about AE's recrafting service:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...Id=40000000001

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
imho, there's too much going on with the design of the shoe. i'd rather stick to a more "conservative" pair just to be able to wear it to work and nights out.

Chicago

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Forgive me if I'm making the wrong assumption, but it sounds like you're giving up on the AEs because they're no longer in decent shape. If that's the case, I'd encourage you to think about AE's recrafting service:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...Id=40000000001

Interesting. These guys are pretty beat up (six plus years with my dad and another four with me), so I'm not sure what they can do, plus I really don't have an option for a pair of brown dress shoes while they're away, but thanks for the heads up, this is a good option that might be worth it in the end.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd speak with an AE representative and tell them exactly what's beat up about them. With the same money you'd probably get a less well-made shoe that wouldn't last as long.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of AE similar to these when I first picked up this hobby (lifestyle?). I've hardly worn them since, as I've come to dislike the seam.

I do like the fact they're brown, though (mine are black).

I vote for taking the AEs to that respected Chicago guy who fixes shoes (anyone? anyone?) or AE's own service.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I vote for new AEs or maybe CTs. Shoes that were well-broken in for someone else may never fit you correctly. I think you'd be better off comfort-wise buying something that fits perfectly and breaking it in yourself. Leave the used shoes to the hard of foot among us.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recrafting would be a good idea.

I like AE's, I think they're fine shoes, but I don't care for the ones you've picked out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads