• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Appreciation pics- question

nelly

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined over from the GQ style forum but I've actually been reading the threads here for a while.

I was just wondering how in all the shoe Appreciation pics, the soles of your shoes never seem scuffed. Just perfect smooth leather! Are those just always new shoes or re-soled ones?

On a similar note, can anyone recommend any brand of shoe care products I can get online (cleaning, conditioning and polishing). I'll try to post some of my shoes up later on. Thanks.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't wear our shoes. $800-1500 shoes are simply purchased for the opportunity to take pics and post on this board. The everyday shoe of choice on this forum is Kenneth Cole
lol8[1].gif

P.S. you can get Saphir shoe polish at plal.com or ebay. Many consider it the best shoe polish.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
We don't wear our shoes. $800-1500 shoes are simply purchased for the opportunity to take pics and post on this board. The everyday shoe of choice on this forum is Kenneth Cole
lol8[1].gif

P.S. you can get Saphir shoe polish at plal.com or ebay. Many consider it the best shoe polish.

Shhh! Don't tell the interlopers our secrets! Blast it! There goes the lid off our WHOLE OPERATION!
smile.gif

The reasons are probably that we all end up acting like excited 7 years olds with new toys once we get the shoes and start taking masses of photos. Err, or it is just me
crazy.gif

Plus polishing leather soles and feeding them properly can help maintain them in good shape.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

wait a d@mn minute!!! i thought its the other way around?! wasn't it supposed to be the kenneth coles are the display shoes?!!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

I do wear my $800-1500 shoes often. But then I use Photoshop to retouch pictures when I post them.

Like others, my shoe of choice is Kenneth Cole, but don't forget Mario Brutini's for that special occasion!

As for polish, I use "Nugget Liquid Wax"!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, okay children... yes, most people take their shoe Appreciation pics before the shoes have been scuffed in. AFAIK, most people then do actually wear the shoes, though I'm sure some just sit and admire them all day. And with the sheer quantity of shoes that some members have, it must take them a really, really long time to actually get a single pair looking worn, assuming they break out every pair once in a while.

For shoe care products, I like Lincoln wax (and other stuff), Meltonian cream polish, and Lexol cleaner/conditioner, and all of them can be found online. But I buy mine locally, so I don't have a source handy.

And welcome to the forum.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are true, even if my shoes are not that expensive, I took the pictures when they were new, and also I have some that I use very seldom so they still look as new... I have 15 pairs..

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One time I forgot to take pictures when my shoes were brand new...that alone ruined my day
laugh.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
my wife once caught me in the room shining my brown 10-1/2's.

topmanshoes

Reaction score
Hi,
I guess no one would be bothered by worn sole of shoes. Besides, is the shoes dat attract people to buy. Never the sole.

Also to new shoes are better left on the display shelf. A person will only take a photo of his/her new shoes only when he have plenty of shoes in the shoe box.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topmanshoes
Besides, is the shoes dat attract people to buy. Never the sole.
Actually, this is wrong. Search for discussions on "bevelled waist." Often, the sole makes the entire difference in a shoe choice.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Or the excellent shoe department at Francos, online or in person in Richmond, Virginia.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the real thing. Members show off their new shoes here seeking affirmation after having made a substantial purpose. Most, if not all, would get blank stares from their significant others, or chuckles from their co-workers, if they said, "Hey, look at my new handgrades! Nice beveled waist, eh?" My father-in-law recently told me that he never spends more than $100 on a pair of shoes, ever.

Here forumites can find someone who might actually understand why they just splashed out on a pair of EGs.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Here forumites can find someone who might actually understand why they just splashed out on a pair of EGs.
Well said. Some people just don't appreciate these things, but here we find refuge and appreciation of the finer details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads