• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Appreciation:  My new Lobbs

chocoball

Reaction score
This one?
---
Shortly after being measured in New York by the Lobb representative, a simple procedure which lasted about 3 minutes, I happened by the Lobb store on Madison Ave., NYC, and, coincidentally, their bespoke shoemaker from Paris was in the store taking measurements---I was astonished at how lengthy and complicated the measurement process was there. The representative must have spent an hour with one customer, and took so many measurements and made so many markings on the shoes, I became dizzy. I was also told they do a fitting, unlike Lobb/London. That said, Lobb/Paris shoes are considerably more expensive than Lobb/London, starting at $4,000 or so. At this price point, which is just a starting point, the shoes no longer are an "affordable luxury" for me.
marc grayson

naturlaut

Reaction score
Lobb (London) costs about the same (US$4000) for the shoes alone. The prices of the trees are never included as you can choose what type of trees you want. Obviously, those 3-piece trees are always the most expensive, and they are also my favourites, as they fit completely into the shoe, from the toe to the instep/ankle.

I don't care if one takes 5 measurements or 15, what I care most is the fitting. Taking 15 measurements will no doubt make it a bit more accurate, but a fitting is still needed nevertheless. I cannot imagine the agony of receiving something (suit/shirt/shoe) that doesn't fit perfectly after waiting for a considerable amount of time (not to mention the investment).

marc37

Reaction score
With Lobb (Paris) the trees are included in the price, with Lobb (London) they are not.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Just checked the prices. The 3-piece trees are 400 GBP, which is over US$700. Shoes start from 1950 GBP but does not include surcharge if initial fitting was done outside London.

Assuming you're in New York ordering a simple pair of captoe today:

2034 GBP (shoes) + 406 GBP (3-piece trees) + 3 GBP (extra laces) + 95 GBP (shoe bag for travel) = 2538 GBP, which is over US$4820.

Better start stocking up some peanut butter.

naturlaut

Reaction score
With Lobb (Paris) the trees are included in the price, with Lobb (London) they are not.
Yes, I know. However, for those who live in a city without a John Lobb (Paris) store, you'd have to travel to Paris for the fitting as Hermes no longer deal with Lobb in their stores. Works out to be more than Lobb (London), but you will definitely get a perfect pair of shoes.

marc37

Reaction score
Lobb (Paris) might be more expensive but l would rather pay more money and get a perfect pair of shoes. The fittings are definately a better idea than Lobb (london's) no fittings.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(RJMan @ 04 Jan. 2005, 5:35) Well, Lobb Paris is actually somewhat more expensive (maybe up to $1000 more)...
Don't forget Raj-man that that price includes custom shoe trees [where as the Lobb (London) price doesn't]. This would  mean that the Lobb (Paris) price would only be slightly more expensive. Horace: Marc Grayson spoke about his Lobb (London) V's Lobb (Paris) experience only last week. Unfortunately, Malinda deleted his posts after only 30 minutes of posting. Did anyone else see it. lt was quite detailed. Damn, l should have saved it.
He had posted something similar (yet more detailed) before that. It still might be on there. You gots to be quick, cause old Malinda (bless her) is even quicker.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it kind of crazy to pay those prices for the shoes and the trees for a plain captoe and wait a year, but it's not mine anyway! How would you feel if some dumb girl's stiletto dug into your shoe or something crazy damaged them?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too impressed with the Lobbs in the OP...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads