• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Appreciation:  My new Lobbs

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do the trees really cost £366? That's astonishing.
Well, it seems almost reasonable when you consider that the shoes themselves have a base price of £1900. And remember that the shoe trees aren's stock: they're made from the same lasts that Kai's shoes were made from. The price is outrageous, but no more outrageous than any of John Lobb's prices. You can see the pricelist here.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll appreciate the high level of taste (truly classic) in the selection long after the price has become irrelevant. Enjoy them in the new year.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While agreed that the shoes are beautiful, it dosen't matter that much. You can get a decent RTW shoe that looks exactly the same for about $300. Most importantly how do they FEEL? IMO the bespoke experience is all about fit and not so much about look. Congrats on the purchase.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to go against the flock.  I'm sure they're comfortable and all.  Otherwise, (and I hate to say this because you waited so long and probably paid through the teeth), they're sort of...of...how to say it?

Certain explanations require the work of Silvano Lattanzi.

marc37

Reaction score
John Lobb took a whole year to deliver?? Wow.
That's is the way Kai requested it. He had a really old shoe maker (the slowest Lobb worker) make the shoes. Kai can tell you all about it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Beautiful, classic, timelessly elegant Kai... I'm assuming they did the fitting in London? Jon, I'm with you on the donkey reference.
smile.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Sorry to go against the flock. Â I'm sure they're comfortable and all. Â Otherwise, (and I hate to say this because you waited so long and probably paid through the teeth), they're sort of...of...how to say it?
Classic, elegant and timeless? Not showy or designed to scream for attention? A unique twist (cordovan)? You're welcome for the help.
wink.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm assuming they did the fitting in London?
I remember from a previous post, that Kai had his measurements taken at the London St James's shop.

No fittings.
They do not do fittings at John Lobb's...
That's what they're famous for, or maybe infamous.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(johnapril @ 31 Dec. 2004, 6:03) Sorry to go against the flock. Â I'm sure they're comfortable and all. Â Otherwise, (and I hate to say this because you waited so long and probably paid through the teeth), they're sort of...of...how to say it?
Classic, elegant and timeless? Not showy or designed to scream for attention? A unique twist (cordovan)? You're welcome for the help.
wink.gif

I wasn't going to put it that way. Besides, I asked for Silvano Lattanzi's help. You're not Silvano Lattanzi. You're AlanC. You're AlanC from Dixie. Whoppee.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I wasn't going to put it that way.

Besides, I asked for Silvano Lattanzi's help.

You're not Silvano Lattanzi.

You're AlanC.

You're AlanC from Dixie.

Whoppee.

Definitely testy...

Sorry, Alan for me it is classic and elegant, but what do I know???

Greenhundred

Reaction score
The shoes are outstanding with that typical Lobb understatement. So it took a year to make them,- it takes at least  nine months for a woman to make a child, at least you know where you are with shoes.

This urge for instant gratification leaves nothing to the more reflective qualities which can only develop with patience and relection. I look forward one day to a pair of bespoke Lobb. I have 2 pairs of Lobb, alas, not bespoke but nevertheless  a treasure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads