Shoe polishing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HRHAndrew, Jun 28, 2004.

1. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

I was trying to find the very helpful shoe polishing guide that was posted here a while back. I do not think it made the jump when we had our problems. If someone still has it, I would greatly appreciate a repost. I am a recent newcomer to the fine shoe market, and like most things I jump in full bore. Want to protect my new babies.

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Personally .. this is what I do.

I have:

Leather care cream: cleans dust etc, re-vitalize leather etc..
    Shoe Shine Cream for black shoes and brown shoes

So, what I do is 1st:
    I apply care cream and give a leather nice 'bath', then I apply shoe shine cream and buff with soft cotton cloth until it shines the way i want.. I do this after I wear shoes each time. Then I insert shoe tree then put those babies in shoes cabinet (or closet) to avoid dryness ..

3. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Andrew,

I know that A. Harris has written probably the best stuff on this board regarding shining. Do a search for "Spit AND shine" and see the topic I started. A. Harris's explanation for spit shining is spot on perfect, I think.

Also, A. Harris mentioned that he always put two to three layers of wax polish on his shoes before wearing, since it protects and seals the leather. I never knew this, but I now see the logic to it.