• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Polishing Problems

tommib

Reaction score
I polished a pair of brown leather shoes with neutral shoe polish, normal kiwi stuff, and they've come out all dark with little lighter coloured spots in various places. What's gone wrong and how can I fix it?

Tom.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
neutral shoe polish tends to darken brown leather, though this is the first time ive heard this happening so quickly. try cleaning the polish off with saddle soap first.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that I'd have to recommend against use of saddle soap. Others have posted here about its limitations and possibly harmful qualities (the details of which I've forgotten). Ordinary drug store over-the-counter isopropyl alcohol (70% or 99%) is a safe and effective way to remove all traces of polish and cream. It will dry out the leather, and, therefore, you'll need to follow up with application of either some leather conditioner (but be careful here too, as some conditioners can darken light-colored leather) or a cream that is the same shade of brown or, better, just a little lighter. After you've rubbed that in well to replenish the moisture and buffed, finish with a top coat of paste-wax polish that again is just slightly lighter than the original color of the shoes. You may have to go to a cobbler's store and pick out the right shades of cream and polish. That should be easy, however, as Meltonian, for example, makes creams in several dozen colors, and, if you stick with Kiwi wax polish for the top coat, it's available in several shades of brown.

tommib

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice! I've buffed away all the dried white bits, I think that was excess polish. Is it likely that in time the shoes will lighten naturally? They were fairly expensive but I doubt they're especially finely made and not sure if all the effort is worth it.

Tom.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I think that I'd have to recommend against use of saddle soap. Others have posted here about its limitations and possibly harmful qualities (the details of which I've forgotten). Ordinary drug store over-the-counter isopropyl alcohol (70% or 99%) is a safe and effective way to remove all traces of polish and cream. It will dry out the leather, and, therefore, you'll need to follow up with application of either some leather conditioner (but be careful here too, as some conditioners can darken light-colored leather) or a cream that is the same shade of brown or, better, just a little lighter. After you've rubbed that in well to replenish the moisture and buffed, finish with a top coat of paste-wax polish that again is just slightly lighter than the original color of the shoes. You may have to go to a cobbler's store and pick out the right shades of cream and polish. That should be easy, however, as Meltonian, for example, makes creams in several dozen colors, and, if you stick with Kiwi wax polish for the top coat, it's available in several shades of brown.

roger,

this is the first time i've heard the use of saddle soap being discouraged, and perhaps i have overlooked the threads where this was mentioned. i do hope this can be cleared out, as i regularly clean my shoes with meltonian saddle soap to which i am quite satisfied, but for now will leave me sleepless.
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
roger,

this is the first time i've heard the use of saddle soap being discouraged, and perhaps i have overlooked the threads where this was mentioned. i do hope this can be cleared out, as i regularly clean my shoes with meltonian saddle soap to which i am quite satisfied, but for now will leave me sleepless.
laugh.gif

They are ruined!

Just kidding. I've heard saddle soap discouraged as well, but I'm not clear on why. It seems to be uncommon for professionals to recommend it, though.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
They are ruined!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

shucks, i thought this is a call for me to get those santoni fam's in hongkong that i didn't buy. dang!!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

shucks, i thought this is a call for me to get those santoni fam's in hongkong that i didn't buy. dang!!

they are still there plus many many more!!
laugh.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
they are still there plus many many more!!
laugh.gif

a day trip is in order!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads