• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Polishing: Holding Shoe Still

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Hey all,

Since I didn't get any useful responses to the Shoe Step or Butler thread I would like to ask you all:

I want to polish my shoes the way they do in the shops, with two hands and a sweeping cloth. I find the results are much better and I spend less time than if I just use one hand. But how can I do that and make sure the shoe is in place? What are your methods?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Hey all,

Since I didn't get any useful responses to the Shoe Step or Butler thread I would like to ask you all:

I want to polish my shoes the way they do in the shops, with two hands and a sweeping cloth. I find the results are much better and I spend less time than if I just use one hand. But how can I do that and make sure the shoe is in place? What are your methods?

between my legs. I put the hell between my knees and shoeshine, then the toe to do the sides. Works better than a valet/box.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
between my legs. I put the hell between my knees and shoeshine, then the toe to do the sides. Works better than a valet/box.

I tried that and the shoe just kept moving.

I tried putting the shoe on but found that I would need a step to hold still and get the sides and heel.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't do what you're asking about often but when I do, I put it on then rest my foot of a chair seat, bend over and polish the shoe.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Hey all,

Grab the shoe tree with a firm hand, use a rolled panty hose (as a ball) and you will have a better result! Or buy a lambskin "shinning glove". The whole idea is to provide a very fast motion with a smooth surface in order to buff the wax.
My 0.2 euro

Cordwinder

Reaction score
you can use stocking too for the same effect. waxed and buffed my shoes, can't stop staring at them.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
This works for me.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.7%