• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe polish

JordanH.

Reaction score
i have this pair of shoes.
IMG_0707.jpg

i like the color but i want it to be less orange and more brown. how would i go about doing this?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Use brown polish.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Use brown polish.

Oh, wow, is it that easy?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I find that Kiwi Mid-tan and especially Tan have a decidedly orangish hue. Kiwi brown, however, is just brown. But it is dark brown, so beware.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes to brown polish. If you want to try it gradually, Meltonian has a number of shades of brown cream polishes. Try those. Creme doesn't change the color as quickly so, after several layers, you should get it you where you want.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I disagree with the above. In my experience, cream colors faster than wax. Wax can be stripped off. Cream soaks in.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I disagree with the above. In my experience, cream colors faster than wax. Wax can be stripped off. Cream soaks in.
You are correct sir! I believe this is because shoe cream has leather dye in it and wax does not. I have used black shoe polish/wax on brown shoes to darken them and it worked nicely IMHO. I have used both methods to darken a pair of shoes but it is hard to go back so I would try wax first and if you are curious try it on a small part on the heal or even on the tongue under a part that would normally be hidden. You can also end up with darker and lighter areas which I have always found to add character but some perfectionists may not like. God luck sir!
smile.gif
EDIT: I you want them to be a lot darker you can just try leather dye as well.

the.chikor

Reaction score
You can find a dye of a particular hue that suits your fancy and try it out on small, obscure portion of the shoe, just to be sure the color comes out right. Another option is to use cream to the shoe, or you can use a wax in the desired color. Wax has to be kept up more frequently than cream, in my experience, as it seems to wear off. Bottom line up front, if you want a permanent change in color, use a dye and then finish with a polish-cream or wax. If you don't know what you are doing, find a cobbler in your area who is experienced in such alterations b/c you can really dramatically alter the appearance of a pair of fine looking shoes into an undesired appearance.

JordanH.

Reaction score
well, when i was into sneakers i used to paint shoes. but, there's a defference in the leather used in most pairs of sneakers and the leather used in real shoes. i know where to find dye but i was not sure if the dye i knew about would have an undesired effect on the shoes.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanH.
i have this pair of shoes.
IMG_0707.jpg

i like the color but i want it to be less orange and more brown. how would i go about doing this?

If you use brown cream and then brown polish, This will give you shoes a darker shade with some antique look. Beautiful. I did that with one of my shoes and it worked graet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads