1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe polish

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sanmateo, Apr 8, 2005.

1. sanmateo

sanmateo Well-Known Member

I've just started taking care of my own shoes after years of just sending them out to get polished. And now, I've noticed that after polishing, the shoes seem to have a layer of wax on them that will not quite dry. It is, in a word, slightly tacky (as in sticky) and also prone to smudging. This regardless of whether or not I spit shine. Am I using the wrong kind of buffing rag (an old t-shirt)? Or should I let them dry longer (although even overnight doesn't seem to make a difference)? Or is this simply a function of having polished shoes.

I"m using Allen Edmonds wax, for what it's worth. thanks in advance for your expert advice.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

Important question -- what kind of shoes do you have? (Plasticy leather, for example, won't ever absorb polish properly).

3. petescolari

petescolari Senior Member

Sounds like you might not be using a shoe brush after you apply the polish? This might explain the buildup and the tackyness in certain spots. The brush will smooth the rough applied layer of polish and also pull off polish which is built up or loose in other spots.

4. sanmateo

sanmateo Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well, as far as shoe type goes -- Grenson, Weston, Terra Plana, McAffee's. Nothing particularly plasticky.

I've noticed that my rag, and brush, too, are both saturated with wax a bit. Maybe that has something to do with it...

5. petescolari

petescolari Senior Member

Maybe it is time to buy a new brush and rag to see if that is the problem. Or, you might want to try and strip down the shoes from previous layers of polish using a saddle soap or leather cleaner.

6. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Sounds like you have used too much wax. I use wax on my shoes about once every 2 weeks. I use cream much more often. It also sounds as though you need to have one cloth for creme and a separate one for wax. Put them in the washing machine from time to time in hot water with plenty of soap too (the rags, not the shoes...).

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, certainly sounds like wax build up. You probably need to strip off the wax and rewax sparingly (as suggested above).

8. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

good suggestion, and be careful when stripping, and use AFTA for the job....but be easy and do it in layers as you have put the layers on, being careful not o rub too hard and take the finish off.

9. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

get some very thin consistiency conditioner / cleaner - maybe something such as Allen Edomnds. Spray it on liberally and rub firmly and thorouthly.

It will not act as a "Stripper", but can remove dead wax. And possibly benefit the shoes.

Follow with thin coat of paste wax / polish such as Meltonian. AE brand is OK, if it is the softer paste - at this time.

Do the same thing for the next several shoe polishings. You won't hurt anything but will clean every thing up gradualy. And leave the truely imbeded wax to improve the shine / pataena of the shoe