1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

shoe polish safety

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by duke, Sep 3, 2006.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

On a related note, I currently live in an apartment and do not have a balcony or building lounge with a window, and in any case it's getting too cold to have the windows wide open. I'm getting wary of polishing shoes because the fumes are trapped inside. Has anyone addressed this kind of problem, aside from polishing on the doorstep or the like?
    Press

/Tomasso

2. rick1977

rick1977 Well-Known Member

As a long term user of wax shoe polishes and cream conditioners I have become more concerned about the potential long term health effects of their use.
    You should put your faith in the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If these products weren't safe, there's no way this agency would let them be available for sale. [​IMG]

3. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

maybe you can research elevated (or not) rates of cancer among shoeshiners, car mechanics, and chimney sweeps

I haven't found anything regarding shoeshiners, etc. I have found some studies regarding occupational exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

The cancer risk was evaluated from 5 cohort studies of 6,500 carbon electrode workers exposed to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Two studies, involving 2203 workers, provided data on incidence; 52 cases of all neoplasms were reported versus 56.28 that were expected. There were 9 cases of lung cancer versus 9.93 expected cases and 3 cases of urinary cancer versus an expected 3.69 cases. Four studies, involving 5241 workers, reported data on mortality. There were 269 deaths reported from all neoplasms versus an expected 292.1 deaths. There were 82 deaths from respiratory cancer versus an expected 95.8 deaths and 15 deaths from urinary cancer versus an expected 12.7 deaths (LaVecchia & Bosetti, 2003).

With regard to gasoline and diesel:
    1) GASOLINE - The majority of the used gasoline engine oils tested were carcinogenic in the dermal carcinogenesis bioassay (McKee & Plutnick, 1989). Fresh gasoline engine oil was not carcinogenic.
    2) GASOLINE - The Tranguch Gasoline Spill leaked 50,000 to 900,000 gallons of gasoline from underground storage tanks. A retrospective cohort study of 663 residents was undertaken to determine the incidence of cancer among those potentially exposed to the spill. Cancers recorded included 2 with acute myeloid leukemia, 1 with chronic myeloid leukemia, and 1 with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. The 2 residents with acute myeloid leukemia lived on the border of the projected gasoline plume which was within the affected area. The standard incidence ratio for leukemia was 4.40 (95% CI 1.09 to 10.24) for the gasoline-affected area (Patel et al, 2004).
    3) DIESEL - Fresh and used diesel engine oils were not carcinogenic in the dermal carcinogenesis bioassay (McKee & Plutnick, 1989).
    4) The carcinogenicity of the used gasoline engine oils may have been due to the high concentration of polyaromatic hydrocarbons in the used oil. Fresh gasoline oils and fresh or used diesel oils had low levels of polyaromatic hydrocarbons (McKee & Plutnick, 1989)

I personally would shine shoes in a ventilated area. Even if there is some risk of carcinogenicity, it is unlikely to be significant in people that are polishing their own shoes. It might be more of a concern in persons considering a career in shoe shinning.

4. lrooff

lrooff Member

As a long term user of wax shoe polishes and cream conditioners I have become more concerned about the potential long term health effects of their use. Is there any information on particular brands/manufacturers/ ingredients of polish/conditioner being safer than others?
    As a general rule of thumb, you'll be safe as long as you don't eat shoe polish or habitually snort the fumes. Unless you're running a shoe-shine stand, it's not anything worth worrying about.

5. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

I love the smell of Kiwi polish it reminds me of bootcamp.

I wouldn't worry about the health risks, we use to shine the hell out of our boots everyday (Im sure way more than the average non-military person.)

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

On a related note, I currently live in an apartment and do not have a balcony or building lounge with a window, and in any case it's getting too cold to have the windows wide open. I'm getting wary of polishing shoes because the fumes are trapped inside. Has anyone addressed this kind of problem, aside from polishing on the doorstep or the like?
    I'm not primarily concerned about health effects. The trapped fumes stink up the whole place, and much as I like a mirror shine, the fumes take the fun out of dinner.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

open the window

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Don't lick your shoes and you should be fine.

9. atroopan

atroopan Senior member

Don't lick your shoes and you should be fine.

I usually take a big whiff after I leather condition them. They just look so good that I feel they need some love since noone else will love em. Damn why can't 'regular people' notice nice shoes the way they notice nice other clothing ? [​IMG]

troop

10. Snappy Dresser

Snappy Dresser Member

Hey Tony, check your PM's Snappy Dresser

11. lrooff

lrooff Member

I love the smell of Kiwi polish it reminds me of bootcamp.

I wouldn't worry about the health risks, we use to shine the hell out of our boots everyday (Im sure way more than the average non-military person.)

On a related subject, when I was getting my son ready for Marine Corps boot camp last year, I spent an evening teaching him to do a proper spit shine for his dress shoes. To my chagrin, I discovered at his graduation that they now issue patent leather shoes to everyone, and that the combat boots aren't shined at all. What is this world coming to? Oy!

12. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

open the window
    It's too cold for that.

13. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Try the Saphir polishes and a conditioner like Crema Alpina. These products smell MUCH better than Kiwi, etc.

Snappy, I'm curious about the organic polishes. Can you tell us more?

14. Snappy Dresser

Snappy Dresser Member

I'm currently accumulating testimonials from the handful of people that I had test this product and hope to have that relatively soon. I can tell you that it smells great, unless you don't like the smell of Oranges. It's definitely not too strong or overpowering and I have used it indoors with no problem.

It seems that the Saphir Polish is highly recommended around here and I regret that I haven't tried the Saphir myself.

I'm almost finished with the shopping cart and should have it completed tonight or tomorrow hopefully. Product is shipping to me tomorrow and should be here in 5 to 10 days. Thanks for the interest and please feel free to stop by the site at www.snappydressers.com Thanks again.

15. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

It's too cold for that.
    Turn on your oven vent/fan, pull up a stool, lay an old towel on the stove, and go for it. That's what I do, anyway.

16. Snappy Dresser

Snappy Dresser Member

Philosophe, I sent you a PM. Also folks, we are running a 10% coupon for our next 20 customers. Coupon will be redeemed at checkout. This includes backorders as well. Take care.

17. Snappy Dresser

Snappy Dresser Member

Correction! We have decided to change the coupon promotion to 15% and it will run until November 30th. Coupon code is SNAPPY15 and applies to product only. Inventory is en route and should be here in the next couple of days. We look forward to hearing from you and hope you will enjoy this product. Don't take my word for it, go to our [url="http://www.snappydressers.com/Testimonials.html"[/URL] page and read about it yourself. Thanks again. [​IMG]