1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

shoe polish on two-toned shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by samnc, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. samnc

samnc Well-Known Member

I recently acquired some nice black with brown shoes which are bison hide. The brand is Trask.

For this kind of two-toned shoe, I am assuming simply to use neutral shoe polish, right....don't try to polish the black sides with black polish and the browns with brown polish. Is this a correct assumption?

When I use the horse-haired shoe brush to get the polish in the shoes, can I brush over both colors at once, or should I only brush the black first and then the brown?

Finally, as an unrelated question, I saw that Allen Edmonds has some shoes on clearence in the $200 range. My first question, which is an assumption, is that for the price, I can't really find a new pair of shoes of better quality. Is this a generally fair assumption, with the caveat that i have no desire to shop online for hours on end? The second question is whether to only get a re-craftable shoe there...how much does it cost to have a shoe re-crafted? I assume the reason why you would want a re-craftable shoe is that it can last for 10-20 years or so, provided that it goes back to AW for re-crafting a few times...is this generally correct?

thanks!