Shoe polish on hands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Dec 2, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does anybody here wear rubber gloves when polishing their shoes? I generally wrap a t shirt around by thumb, however the polish always bleeds through. My friend witnessed this and freaked out claiming some substances in shoe polish can harm you and blah, blah, blah. I say he is being a pussy and unless you are eating a block of wax a day there is nothing to worry about. I have even licked the spot on the t shirt where the wax builds up to get a good spit shine on the toes of my shoes. Am I taking the precautions too lightly, or are some people just wimps?

2. viator

viator Senior member

I don't know about the health effects, but I do wear surgical gloves because otherwise the polich gets under and around my fingernails and it is very difficult to get out.

3. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I have had people in the office ask me about having a black thumb. I tell them shoe polish and they laugh.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I get a bag of cheap disposable rubber gloves similar to surgeon gloves at the hardware store. Polish really stains the skin and is hard to get out. Especially under the nails.

5. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

shampoo works wonders

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I shined my shoes last night adn didn't or never have used gloves. I just use a wash rag/polish and don't have a problem. If some does get on my hands, try soap and h20!

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

With all the toxins we are exposed to elsewhere in life I don't think shoe polish is a major concern. Having said that, I sometimes wear disposable plastic gloves when shining shoes just because it can be difficult to clean off.

But I generally shine my shoes in big batches, say ten at a time, maybe twice a month. I wouldn't don gloves just to shine or clean up one pair.

8. patrickBOOTH

With all the toxins we are exposed to elsewhere in life I don't think shoe polish is a major concern. Having said that, I sometimes wear disposable plastic gloves when shining shoes just because it can be difficult to clean off.

But I generally shine my shoes in big batches, say ten at a time, maybe twice a month. I wouldn't don gloves just to shine or clean up one pair.

Yes, I do end up shining tons at once as well. The more shoes I get I notice the less time I have to do other things after work like forgoing dinner and drinks with friends. This whole shoe thing is turning me into a recluse.

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

If you have acetone on hand, it should help.

10. patrickBOOTH

If you have acetone on hand, it should help.

Well, you are technically not supposed to get acetone on your skin either, so that seems counter productive.

11. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

Well, you are technically not supposed to get acetone on your skin either, so that seems counter productive.

My bad, hardly read your post. I thought your concern was more with the color that bled through, rather than the potentially toxic nature of the polish.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i never use gloves and have never had to spend more than a few minutes washing polish off my hands with warm water and hand soap, as far as health i agree unless you eat the stuff as a snack while polishing you should be fine... then again i aint no doctor ask docholiday maybe he knows

13. DavidHM

DavidHM New Member

SOS or Brillo pad.

14. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

Your friend is being rather precious.

15. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

I wash my hands after the job.