• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe polish on bridle hide briefcase

PeterEliot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
95
Reaction score
13
(1) Can it do the leather any harm?

(2) Will it alter the color permanently? (I actually want it to--my bag is too flamin' red and I would like a more brownish hue.)

(3) Won't the polish rub off my clothes?

(4) A brief description of the procedure, if you don't mind? (Unless of course you recommend against it.)

Thanks and I appreciate your input.
 

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
8,636
Reaction score
20,888
Originally Posted by PeterEliot
(1) Can it do the leather any harm?

(2) Will it alter the color permanently? (I actually want it to--my bag is too flamin' red and I would like a more brownish hue.)

(3) Won't the polish rub off my clothes?

(4) A brief description of the procedure, if you don't mind? (Unless of course you recommend against it.)

Thanks and I appreciate your input.


Strip the surface with acetone, apply leather conditioner and use a decent cream polish. Brush and buff very well or it will come off on clothes. A couple of final coats with a neutral cream will help guard against colur transfering to clothes.
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
I think shoe polish would rub off on your clothes. The advice in the post above sounds good to me.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
How about using shoe conditioner on bridle briefcase?It should be totally safe,right?
My case came with a little container that has some kind of "vaseline" type stuff,I was told to apply it on leather once in every three months,I have no idea what it is as it is pretty sticky.Any idea what it is?
 

Templar

New Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If it's shoe cream, make sure it's natural. Anything else is just an invite for disaster. Please stay away from shoe polish. It really is not the right thing to use on bridle leather.

If you by any chance have an equestrian store in your vicinity, may I suggest you get a tube of Stubben's Hamamol (about $14). This German leather cream does wonders for bags, shoes, etc. One tube will last you quite some time. I use the Stubben cream on Ghurka bags and RM William boots with excellent results.
 

tlmusic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
931
Reaction score
6
I would call the people at Sterling & Burke Ltd, Washington, DC 1.800.205.7739. They sell the SAB briefcases made of bridle hide.

They stock special polishes and hide feed for the leather.

I recently acquired a used SAB attache and called them. The person I spoke to told me not to use any shoe polish. Apparently the leather requires some special care, but will last forever. I ordered some of the polish they suggested, but have not had a chance to apply it yet--so I cannot speak for the results.
 

Bic Pentameter

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
814
Reaction score
15
I have not used shoe polish. I have used shoe dubbing which is pretty similar in color to neutral shoe polish. I usually wait until I have a week or two of vacation, then oil my briefcase up on the very first night. I let it soak in over the week. It did rub off, and was visible on my tan raincoat. Dry cleaning did not remove the stain.

Bic
 

PeterEliot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
95
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by forex
How about using shoe conditioner on bridle briefcase?It should be totally safe,right?
My case came with a little container that has some kind of "vaseline" type stuff,I was told to apply it on leather once in every three months,I have no idea what it is as it is pretty sticky.Any idea what it is?



Does this bag happen to be Swaine Adeney? (I think I read on the briefcase porn thread that you bought one.) If so, it's SAB's own leather conditioner.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
209
Originally Posted by PeterEliot
Does this bag happen to be Swaine Adeney? (I think I read on the briefcase porn thread that you bought one.) If so, it's SAB's own leather conditioner.

Yes,it is SAB.It is very different from a regular shoe conditioner so I was surprised.It is thick too,I used it one time,it seems like leather became little softer.
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I would call the people at Sterling & Burke Ltd, Washington, DC 1.800.205.7739. They sell the SAB briefcases made of bridle hide.

They stock special polishes and hide feed for the leather.

I recently acquired a used SAB attache and called them. The person I spoke to told me not to use any shoe polish. Apparently the leather requires some special care, but will last forever. I ordered some of the polish they suggested, but have not had a chance to apply it yet--so I cannot speak for the results.


Hello everybody,

IMO he is right! Don't use any shoe care! Not even neutral.

My cobbler is doing the job. He needs 20 minutes to polish clean by using the maschine.

Another advice: do not clean with accetone (or something like that). If there is a finsh, it will get damaged!

So my advice: Buy special care and use only that!

Yours
GN
 

joal

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
The stuff that comes with the brooks brothers case is the same stuff you can buy directly from SAB. You can see the stuff on their website (even the yellow polishing cloth is the same). Teh SAB/Brooks brothers hide food is very similar to Pecards leather conditioner. At least one retailer of bridle leather goods (David Morgan) recommends using Pecards on the Filson bridle products it sells. I've used Pecards on my Filson field satchel with excellent results. I also have the SAB/brooks brothers flap-over case with straps and use the SAB cream on it - also with excellent results.

I also would second the admonition to NOT use acetone on bridle leather. Part of the beauty of bridle leather is that it is tanned using nothing but natural ingredients (oak bark, tannins, natural fats, tallows, etc).
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 116 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 67 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,561
Messages
9,220,423
Members
193,559
Latest member
jamalopu1
Top