1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe photos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoefan, Mar 23, 2004.

1. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Hello everybody, Remember my posting on Grenson shoes a year ago? Â They have aged pretty well, here are the pictures: [​IMG] Comparing stitching on Green (Brampton, 202) and Lobb (Tokyo): [​IMG] These two Grensons were purchased at the same time, though I wear the Stowe more often, thus the leather looks a little different now (less apparent in photo): [​IMG] Here are the Stowe a year ago: [​IMG] Comparing StefanoBi and Antonio Maurizi: [​IMG] Naturlaut

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Wow, gorgeous. There wasn't a single pair that I didn't absolutely love.

3. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

The Stowes seem to have a redness to them I don't see in the original. What polish have you used on them? Thanks for posting the before and after pics.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

It could just be the lighting, but I noticed a deeper red tone as well.

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

By the way, I especially like the monk strap/double monk strap on the last two black shoes pictured, as well as the monk strap on the brown Grenson's.  The black Lobb slip-on is also great.

What is the rule for monk straps vs. lace-ups?  For some reason I like monk straps a lot better.  For one, you see them less than lace-up shoes and I think it adds a touch of individuality and unique-ness.  I would assume they are not as formal as lace-ups, but are they as casual as slip-on loafers?

6. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

I use the tan polish given by Grenson and had not put anything else on the shoes. Â It does have an undertone of redness in it but not as red as it seems on the picture. Â [​IMG] On a side note: the Felstead (double monk) are a tiny bit more spacious than the Stowe, although they are labeled with the exact same size and width. These Grensons are currently selling at Dunhill for about US$550 to $600, which I think is ridiculous. The StefanoBi monkstrap is the one featured on LVMH's website Naturlaut

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I remember when you first got those Grenson's. They've really aged wonderfully.

8. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

The brown Mantellassi is reaching their two-year anniversary, and they are aging pretty well too.  Not a scratch on the leather, and it has become a rich chocolate brown (like one of our final meeting at Maison du Chocolat [​IMG]  [​IMG] ) Wish you were here to see them in person  [​IMG] How are your C&J maturing? Naturlaut

9. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Very nicely, perhaps some pics will be forthcoming. But sooner (rather than later, unfortunately) I'm going to have to get them re-soled. Apparently I do entirely too much tromping around the city in them. I'm dreading the separation anxiety that this painful act will engender (I can just send them to C&J in the UK, I assume).

10. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

these are my favorite shoes i've seen in a LONG time... [​IMG]

11. rayk

rayk Senior member

Great thread.  Great photos.  It makes me want to go out and buy a pair of shoes right now  [​IMG]  Keep the terrific photos coming.

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

13. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

14. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Berluti in new Venice leather collection: [​IMG]

15. kabert

kabert Senior member

Frankly, those are the best looking Berluti's I've seen so far. I like them. Most of 'em look too trendy/plastic/flashy to me (based on pictures -- I've never seen any in person to my knowledge).

16. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

The berluti Venice leather is quite striking. I assume it is real gator, but you called it leather--is it stamped? Is it available on their one-piece shoes?

Rob

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

18. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

19. fareau

fareau Senior member

All these amazing shoes. I'm sitting here with Bacco Bucci's, starting to feel like a neanderthal. I better log out of this thread before I descend any further down the evolutionary ladder. Ignorance was such bliss... [​IMG]

20. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Here I was feeling pretty good in recent years having evolved to Allen Edmonds and recently ventured out, someone successfully in terms of fitting, to Gravati. Dang. Where do you guys find these shoes? Without the internet I'd still be wearing the plastic Bostonian shoes and complaining about it because I couldn't afford anything else. At least now with eBay Allen Edmonds becomes somewhat more affordable.