• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe pads and pant length

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
High there,

I have a messed up foot arch, or something like that, which requires that I wear special pads in my shoes. The pads are under the heel, and they make me taller by about 1/4 -1/2 inches.

If I get fitted for a pants while my feet are flat on the floor, will wearing the pads in my shoes make the pants not fit as intended? Should I take the pads out and set them under my feet next time I'm fitted?

I've noticed that without the pads, the legs fall fine, and the socks don't show too much--if at all--as I waddle through the streets. When I add the pads (which I must do in order to be able to stand for even 15 minutes comfortably), the legs seem a little higher, and the sock shows through when strolling
frown.gif

What should be done? Should my current pants be fixed, and should I wear the pads to my next fitting (whenever that might be
frown.gif
)?

Thanks for any help,
HT

Larry Lean

Reaction score
I always put on the shoes or at least style of shoes I intend wearing most with the trousers for their fitting. I think it's the most reliable way of getting the break right.
So I'd wear the pads for your fittings if you will be wearing them while wearing your new trousers.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
And I should have said that I'm sorry to hear about your foot.
Shoe sizing must be slightly difficult too.

I have a 'dropped' right shoulder from years of carrying a heavy briefcase since I was about 8. All my jackets need slight alteration to make me look the best I can (ie, slightly more padding in the shoulder on one side).

Few of us are without these little quirks. This is why we need tailors!

Hand Tailored

Reaction score
Actually shoe sizing isn't that big of a problem, and some shoes already have proper comfort in place. Generally, the tongue of my shoes is steeper up because of the increased up-down "thickness" of my "foot". However, I'm only 5'4", and placing the pads in my shoes makes me appear taller... so I like to wear them anyhow.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear non-prescription orthodopedic inserts for arch issues. I used to use full inserts that included a heel cup, which pushed my foot forward and up. Just recently I've discovered that inserts are available with the same arch support but thin, flat heels, making dress shoe sizing much easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads