• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe overhaul. If you could start over...

jr07

Reaction score
I'm on a shoe purge and replacement mission right now.

I have four suits (navy, black, medium grey, and grey-brown) for day-to-day wear and some events. I'm a medical student on my feet a lot of the day in the clinic.

If you could buy two pairs of shoes, assuming you didn't have any to start with, what colors and styles would you choose (and in what order).

I realize it's asking a lot in one question but here goes.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No offense but did you even bother reading SF 101 or searching for similar threads?

jr07

Reaction score
Of course I did and I have a good idea of where to start. But I asked a specific question, with details about myself and what setting they will be used in. I had asked for advice, not patronizing comments. I contribute my expertise in different subjects on other forums. I thought someone might be able to help - and maybe someone will still be nice enough to do so - but if not I'll go elsewhere.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how literal you meant it when you said you were thinking about purging your shoe collection and starting over with just two pair. In other words, is this purely an academic exercise, sort of like a riddle: "Hey, pretend I can only own two pair of shoes ...." Do you mean just your dress shoes but you would keep some of your very casual shoes?

I ask because I have some surgeon friends, one of whom seems to just wear a couple of pair at work: loafers for clinic days and tennis shoes for surgery days.

Since you referenced your suits, I assume you want that factored in. I guess you wear your suits to clinic, swapping the jacket for your white coat?

If your question is limited to dress shoes, I guess my two pair would be a brown punchcap and burgundy shell LWB. To me (I'm not British
smile.gif
) either would work with suits or sport coat and tie. The former has been described by a certain Revered One here as "the ultimate suit shoe" and the latter is especially easy to dress down (up to a point).

If those don't sound comfortable enough, you could substitute for either a comfort shoe that mimics a traditional dress shoe in looks, like some of the "rough leather" or "oiled leather" shoes with something besides a leather sole, but otherwise made up like a traditional oxford or blucher. There are several AE models like that, I think.

Again, sorry if I missed the full point of your question. Best of luck in school.

Punjabjat

Reaction score
I'd opt for camel lace up's and brown double monks...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads