1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe Mart--Alden Whiskey

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ed Sullivan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Mr.WAYWRN

Mr.WAYWRN Member

I'm not going to say that $675 is not expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. It could be years before Alden has the shell cordovan leather that is the right pigment to make whiskey shell cordovan shoes again.

This complete BS. Horween has plenty of stock at the moment. I spoke with Skip Horween earlier in the month. This is simply hype created to justify an unworthy markup on your shoes which is much higher than your competitors.

2. puffdaddy

puffdaddy Active Member

This complete BS. Horween has plenty of stock at the moment. I spoke with Skip Horween earlier in the month. This is simply hype created to justify an unworthy markup on your shoes which is much higher than your competitors.

In fairness to shoemart AND to Horween, there's another player in this and based on what I have heard, they seem not so enthralled with making whiskey shell shoes. I have no idea why, but there CLEARLY is more whiskey shell out there then they might have you believe.

The propoganda about the shortage has spread to Alden retailers who pass it along as fact.

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I like them, w n w/o flash.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nice shoes!
    What's w/that avatar, btw?

5. Toorman

Toorman Senior member

Not for me at $67.50 let alone $675. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

6. Jeff Naylor

Jeff Naylor Senior member

If you're a 12 or 13.

Not in April when I said it.

7. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

The price is astronomical, especially compared to the price last year. IIRC, they were $575 or $595 last year.

Ouch! I'm glad I got my split toe Aldens (cigar, not whiskey, but I think this style looks better in cigar - and dare I write it No. 8, too! - than in whiskey) in the early part of this decade. Inflation has not been nearly as steep as the price rise in these things.

8. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Nice shoes!
    What's w/that avatar, btw?

All this talk of Rich, Buttery , Whiskey Shell Cordovan made me thirsty.

9. deltashell

deltashell Senior member

I've got a pair of whiskey wingtip bal seconds on the way from shoe mart! Can't wait! Whiskey is an amazing color.

10. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

In fairness to shoemart AND to Horween, there's another player in this and based on what I have heard, they seem not so enthralled with making whiskey shell shoes. I have no idea why, but there CLEARLY is more whiskey shell out there then they might have you believe.

The propoganda about the shortage has spread to Alden retailers who pass it along as fact.

I've been told by several shoe makers that they can get it, but most of it's rejected because the coloring isn't very good. Rather than deal with that, they just prefer not to offer it.

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I've been told by several shoe makers that they can get it, but most of it's rejected because the coloring isn't very good. Rather than deal with that, they just prefer not to offer it.

That was my guess, that due to the less-forgiving color they wind up with a higher rate of rejection and a higher unit cost.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bought a pair of whiskey shell shoes from Shoemart. they are the v-tip or Algonquin model, which is one of the Alden models I don't really care for, but I will consider any shoe on the Modified last and the material was just enough to push them into the "buy" column for me. The whiskey shell is gorgeous.

The model in the post above is beautiful and in whiskey shell, spectacular.

Even if th eprice seems high, if you can afford them, you should buy them.

13. Uncle Jam's Army

Uncle Jam's Army Well-Known Member

I just bought a pair of whiskey shell chukka's from Alden San Francisco this past Monday, and apparently they have other models in the whiskey shell, too, at a lower price than Shoe Mart.

14. edmond_evo6

edmond_evo6 Active Member

may i ask Whiskey Chukka US8 or US8.5 still availability?

15. septiembre

septiembre Member

Not a colour for everyday, though...

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Not a colour for everyday, though...
    I wear mine rather often during the summer, but I don't wear them in fall/winter. The color just seems too light for year-round wear, particularly where I live.

17. deltashell

deltashell Senior member

Alden SF has at least the chukka & plaintoe blucher in stock. I know they have some cigar models too.

18. maquisard

maquisard Member

I've got a pair of whiskey wingtip bal seconds on the way from shoe mart! Can't wait! Whiskey is an amazing color.

Pictures, please.