• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe lacing

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
While I have seen Ian's Shoelace site
for the 'how to's'....

is anyone aware of or IF there any protocols,rules, or guides as to what type of lacing to use with a specific shoe?

Even hole Bal's
" " Derby's

Odd hole Bal's
" " Derby's

Boots ???

Thanks

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me,
-bal/oxford: straight
-blucher/derby: criss cross

^ I lace my shoes and boots (don't own bal boots yet though) that way for no other reason than bals/oxfords look weird with criss cross lacing and bluchers/derbies look weird with straight lacing.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Straight lacing on Bals
Straight or Criss Cross on Bluchers (depending on the shoe)
Lattice Lacing on Sneakers

I don't think there are any rules, but thats what I think look right. Most pictures of Bals are always straight laced.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whatever looks good, whatever works.

straight-lacing (crossed alternately underneath) works perfectly for even-holed bals. Problem is, most bals I like have 5 holes.

I like X-on-top lacing for certain shoes, but I have to have the laces come up at the top for the knot. call me fickle.

I have criss-cross on a pair of alden bals for no reason other than I tried several methods and it looked/worked the best.

I don't understand any lacing other than criss-cross on sneakers. I hate straight lacing on sneakers.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
whatever looks good, whatever works.

straight-lacing (crossed alternately underneath) works perfectly for even-holed bals. Problem is, most bals I like have 5 holes.

I like X-on-top lacing for certain shoes, but I have to have the laces come up at the top for the knot. call me fickle.

I have criss-cross on a pair of alden bals for no reason other than I tried several methods and it looked/worked the best.

I don't understand any lacing other than criss-cross on sneakers. I hate straight lacing on sneakers.

This is the lacing I use for sneakers

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/latticelacing.htm

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually do the strait lacing on closed-laced shoes and crossed lacing on open-laced shoes, but I do have one pair of each where I have gone the opposite. It comes down to which one I think looks better for that particular shoe.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%