• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Laces Keep Breaking

jorshillay

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the world of classic menswear, and I recently purchased my first quality item: Carmina black cap-toe Oxfords. However, after just 2 or 3 wears, the laces on my left shoe break. It appears as though one of the eyelets is tearing it (see image), but I can't figure out why this would happen. I've replaced the laces twice now. Obviously laces are very cheap, so it's less of a cost issue and more of an annoyance and concern that my shoes will become loose while I'm out. Is this an issue of shoelace quality? Or is there a defect on the shoes? How can I get this fixed? Thanks!

Kind regards,
Jordan

BrokenLaces.jpg

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the world of classic menswear, and I recently purchased my first quality item: Carmina black cap-toe Oxfords. However, after just 2 or 3 wears, the laces on my left shoe break. It appears as though one of the eyelets is tearing it (see image), but I can't figure out why this would happen. I've replaced the laces twice now. Obviously laces are very cheap, so it's less of a cost issue and more of an annoyance and concern that my shoes will become loose while I'm out. Is this an issue of shoelace quality? Or is there a defect on the shoes? How can I get this fixed? Thanks!

Kind regards,
Jordan

View attachment 1402269
Mm
I don’t think I’ve ever had this with any of my Carmina or other brands...Does it feel like you’re pulling them too hard?It’s either that, or the laces or you have sharp edges inside (the metal that sits behind the lace opening). As I never had this with any Carmina I’m inclined to say it’s the first or last option...

notdos

Reaction score
My guess is the fit is wrong, and in an attempt to tighten, this is happening. Just my .02.

jorshillay

Reaction score
Mm
I don’t think I’ve ever had this with any of my Carmina or other brands...Does it feel like you’re pulling them too hard?It’s either that, or the laces or you have sharp edges inside (the metal that sits behind the lace opening). As I never had this with any Carmina I’m inclined to say it’s the first or last option...

I didn't realize lacing them so tight could cause this. Yes, I've been pulling them very tight in an attempt to close the fairly wide V that has occurred due to my high instep. But again, it's only on the left shoe, while I'm lacing them both tight.

jorshillay

Reaction score
My guess is the fit is wrong, and in an attempt to tighten, this is happening. Just my .02.

This very well could be the issue. I only realized after I got them how high my instep is, so I've been lacing them very tight in an attempt to stretch them a bit. Are there any laces that are extra durable?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, pulling too tight can cause this to happen.
While I don’t have the same issue, I’ve found that wax laces tend to hold up better over time. Give it a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads