Shoe horse (whore?)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Kai

Kai Senior member

I like the shoes. Wouldn't wear them with a suit, but seems like they would go well with cords, tweeds, and many other things.

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

I like those shoes as well. I had them on my list for a while. I figured they'd be OK with cords or khakis. I am instead going to buy some Alden casual laceups, though, but not because I don't like the Ferragamos.

BTW Foxx: I saw those shoes on in Brown, 9 1/2D last week for $125 or so. Brand new in the box.

3. LiS

LiS Member

Yes, he has website showing some of his shoes and shirts and suits, but it's not an easy URL to remember. When I find it I will post on this forum board.

I know some one (Japanese man also) who collects vintage Nike shoes somuch that he spends more money on those Nike than on regular leather shoes. Everyone has their own obsession. It is just a matter of time when it will finally show.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The picture isn't the greatest, but I've seen the shoes in person and I rather like them. Like the others have said, wearing them with suits might not be the best idea, but corduroys, chinos, and tweeds are all good choices.

5. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

wow, can't believe some of you guys hate these shoes so much. I liked the black pebble grain leather so much, i bought them in brown. so far, i've worn with khakis, corduroy, but thanks for the advice on wearing with tweed and rougher twills, etc. middle of the week, the office is very casual, and it isn't unusual to see dockers/ kenneth cole type shoes, casual shirts and sweaters. I only get to wear a sportcoat 3-4 times a week, and don't wear a tie but a few times per month (at work, anyway.)

6. jcusey

Certainly not. SJP (or rather, the Carrie Bradshaw character that she plays) will buy whatever looks good regardless of whether it fits well. I would never do that. Of course, I have more shoes than any human has any need for. I have several pairs of John Lobb Paris, Alden, and Gravati, as well as a smaller number from any number of different makers.

7. FCS

FCS Senior member

[deleted] wrong thread, sorry

8. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

well i'm sober now, but i stand by my original post. i'm not into the whole khaki thing either, so let's just agree to disagree. i do find it odd that a man who appreciates oxxford suits and owns a $200 shaving brush should wear shoes like those, even for comfort. you are unique mr. foxx. [​IMG]

9. LiS

LiS Member

Those shoes, i must admit, are not for formal occasion, however, they don't look as bad as what some thinks, in my opinions, and come on, not all John Lobb shoes are good looking in my eyes either, but numerous not so good looking models have survived through the years, so they must have looked good on some but not all. (For example I am not a great fan for wholecuts, maybe because I am short and I have try wore wholecuts but it looks ugly on me.) I think if you think those shoes will looking good on you and will serve the purpose you are looking for, then pick them up --- but only during sales.... I don't think, monetarily speaking, they worth the retail $$$ price.

10. marc39

marc39 Well-Known Member

1 pr. bespoke Lobb (St. James's)
    3 pr. bespoke Perry Ercolino
    6 pr. Cleverley RTW
    15 pr. JM Weston
    8 pr. Tanino Crisci
    3 pr. Fosters
    5 pr. Sargeant
    1 pr. Filson
    15 pr. Wildsmith (probably Crockett & Jones)
    3 pr. LL Bean boots
    1 pr. Le Chameau boots
    1 pr. New Balance sneaks
    3 pr. Ferragamo
    1 pr. J Tod boots
    5 pr. Alden
    1 pr. bespoke Edward Greens on order
    Hoping to purchase Edward Green RTW if I can figure out size.

11. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

Let's see......I like shoes and I am a really bad shopper..... 2 pair Ferragamo ($400 each) [1 cap toe, 1 monk strap] 1 Dolce & Gabana opera pump ($450) 1 pair Bally chelsea boots ($350) 3 Bally loafers ($300 - $500) 1 pair Cole Haan ($75ish) 2 pair Kenneth Cole shoes ($125) 1 pair Kenneth Cole boots ($175) 2 pair Dsquared boots (1 brown, 1 black) ($550) 1 pair Tod's driving loafers 1 pair Vasque hiking boots ($200) 6 pair rock climbing shoes ($100 - $150) 2 running shoes ([​IMG]?) 1 cross trainer ($85) 1 teva ([​IMG]?) 1 Diesel flip flops ($45) 3 golf shoes ($100ish) 1 Otomix weight lifting shoe ([​IMG]) 2 cleats (1 black, 1 white for football - I play in a flag league and a tackle league) ([​IMG])

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Good God Almighty [​IMG]

13. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

marc,
    look inside yourself and search for that person who cares deeply about the plight of those less fortunate than you. you are spending money on things you don't need--money that could be put to much greater use elsewhere.

if you respond that you give half your income to charity, i say that you can obviously afford to give more.

i see nothing wrong with spending $1000 on shoes, as many people have a great appreciation for quality and as ghandi once said, "it is man's right to aspire to perfection." i take this to mean materially, as well as spiritually.

14. jcusey

Just who the hell do you think you are to judge the spending habits of someone you don't know and about which you know very little?

15. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Matador and Marc,

I can understand Matador's initial reaction since Marc's collection of Westons probably retails for a greater sum than the per capita income for all developing countries (and some lower income individuals in the US).   However, his collection should NOT make him a target of outright criticism.  Fashion, by its very definition, is a luxury and a thoroughly unnecessary activity.  We're all guilty in this regard...