• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Help

rbwamsley

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some help/direction from you all. I recently picked up a new Paul Smith suit, and I need to find some shoes to wear with it. I am having a very hard time finding shoes that I like. In the past all of my dress shoes I have bought were Kenneth Cole, because they always have at least one style that I like, but now that I have a very nice suit it is time to step up to a nice shoe. I am open to any suggestions.

Criteria
Color: Black
Price: Under $300 (Actually the cheaper the better, but they cannot look cheap.)

Here is a pic of the suit.
84768539ga5.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Blake

rbwamsley

Reaction score
No suggestions at all? Do I need to provide more information?

Could someone at least suggest a versatile style shoe that I need to go with, something that could be worn to weddings, christmas parties, etc.?

Thanks,
Blake

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, this is pretty much all we talk about.

When we actually, you know, talk about clothes.

Look around. Do some searching. Get some nice welted calfskin cap toes.

rbwamsley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Dude, this is pretty much all we talk about.

When we actually, you know, talk about clothes.

Look around. Do some searching. Get some nice welted calfskin cap toes.

I have been searching and most of the threads that I have found were about shoes that I cannot afford right now. However, I did just find a thread talking about Allen-Edmonds, which can be in my price range if I find them on sale. I tried searching for what style of shoes to wear/not wear with suits, but I really could not find any information on that.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Are wingtips ok to wear with suits?

Thanks,
Blake

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I like the suit - I believe I've seen it on sale at Bluefly.com. I would take the advice given by grimslade and go with a captoe. Do some searches on this forum for quality and price.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbwamsley
Criteria
Color: Black
Price: Under $300 (Actually the cheaper the better, but they cannot look cheap.)

Hi Blake,

In the interest of getting some suggestions beyond "doing a search"
eh.gif
I'll throw out a suggestion that the shoe-masters here can no doubt do better than:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/p/gbpdefa...=Relevance&page=1&back=False&canned=&browse=Y

The seller, Charles Tyrwhitt, doesn't have the best reputation around here, but this is a calf-leather shoe made in England (I believe by Loake's) so it should be pretty decent, and with the exchange rate get you a shoe for a little under your $300 limit.

Are there better, less expensive shoes out there for you, sure. What are they? Dunno. Maybe someone can tell us ...
worship.gif

(edit, the link doesn't seem to be working, but a bit of googling will no doubt help you ... )

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think wingtips are fine, but I'd urge you to break the 300-dollar barrier, even if only slightly. There are few shoes below that threshold--at retail--that many people here would recommend in good conscience. If you want something junky, don't let us stop you. But don't make us pretend that they are quality shoes.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Generally agree

Below here, many in your range- aim towards the $200 range and there will be some OK shoes.

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...ts_per_page=96

Florsheim's aren't terrible for what they are. There's an Allen-Edmonds in there around $275.

I'd personally put more into shoes and less elsewhere. Repairing cheap shoes later is a lousy investment.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always check out Herring Shoes as they frequently have second/sale/and discontinued shoes for cheap (Loake, Herring, Church's, Cheaney). However they're in UK sizes and you'd have to get the shipped across the pond. After the exchange rate and shipping you can get some pretty good shoes for around $150.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads