• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoe Help

rbwamsley

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some help/direction from you all. I recently picked up a new Paul Smith suit, and I need to find some shoes to wear with it. I am having a very hard time finding shoes that I like. In the past all of my dress shoes I have bought were Kenneth Cole, because they always have at least one style that I like, but now that I have a very nice suit it is time to step up to a nice shoe. I am open to any suggestions.

Criteria
Color: Black
Price: Under $300 (Actually the cheaper the better, but they cannot look cheap.)

Here is a pic of the suit.

Thanks in advance,
Blake

rbwamsley

Reaction score
No suggestions at all? Do I need to provide more information?

Could someone at least suggest a versatile style shoe that I need to go with, something that could be worn to weddings, christmas parties, etc.?

Thanks,
Blake

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, this is pretty much all we talk about.

When we actually, you know, talk about clothes.

Look around. Do some searching. Get some nice welted calfskin cap toes.

rbwamsley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Dude, this is pretty much all we talk about.

When we actually, you know, talk about clothes.

Look around. Do some searching. Get some nice welted calfskin cap toes.

I have been searching and most of the threads that I have found were about shoes that I cannot afford right now. However, I did just find a thread talking about Allen-Edmonds, which can be in my price range if I find them on sale. I tried searching for what style of shoes to wear/not wear with suits, but I really could not find any information on that.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Are wingtips ok to wear with suits?

Thanks,
Blake

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I like the suit - I believe I've seen it on sale at Bluefly.com. I would take the advice given by grimslade and go with a captoe. Do some searches on this forum for quality and price.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbwamsley
Criteria
Color: Black
Price: Under $300 (Actually the cheaper the better, but they cannot look cheap.)

Hi Blake,

In the interest of getting some suggestions beyond "doing a search"
I'll throw out a suggestion that the shoe-masters here can no doubt do better than:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/p/gbpdefault/pr/MCABLK/Black-Calf-Oxford-Shoe/r/Web-Department/Men's-Shoes/Colour/Black/productdetail.aspx?ppp=16&sortBy=Relevance&page=1&back=False&canned=&browse=Y

The seller, Charles Tyrwhitt, doesn't have the best reputation around here, but this is a calf-leather shoe made in England (I believe by Loake's) so it should be pretty decent, and with the exchange rate get you a shoe for a little under your $300 limit.

Are there better, less expensive shoes out there for you, sure. What are they? Dunno. Maybe someone can tell us ...

(edit, the link doesn't seem to be working, but a bit of googling will no doubt help you ... )

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think wingtips are fine, but I'd urge you to break the 300-dollar barrier, even if only slightly. There are few shoes below that threshold--at retail--that many people here would recommend in good conscience. If you want something junky, don't let us stop you. But don't make us pretend that they are quality shoes.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Generally agree

Below here, many in your range- aim towards the $200 range and there will be some OK shoes.

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...ts_per_page=96

Florsheim's aren't terrible for what they are. There's an Allen-Edmonds in there around $275.

I'd personally put more into shoes and less elsewhere. Repairing cheap shoes later is a lousy investment.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could always check out Herring Shoes as they frequently have second/sale/and discontinued shoes for cheap (Loake, Herring, Church's, Cheaney). However they're in UK sizes and you'd have to get the shipped across the pond. After the exchange rate and shipping you can get some pretty good shoes for around $150.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 237 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40