• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe help

swanwed6206

Reaction score
Hi everyone- I am new here (first post) and I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good shoe. I am not looking to spend too much (3-4). I like wingtips and tassel loafers. Thanks in advance!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kinda vague..but i will be helpful. use the "search styleforum.net" button up there^^ to get some ideas. people will want to know what you do/when you will wear/b4 offering advice.

swanwed6206

Reaction score
OK- sorry.... just went to search and remembered why I asked here in the first place (the overwhelming amout of information).... I will give you some color.... I am a corporate attorney moving from a business casual environment to a not so business casual setting. I am a big fan of cordovan/burgundy shoe and wear a BB Madison grey/navy/charcoal, etc. suit-I am on the conservative side. Any specific shoe brand advice??

tgt465

Reaction score
Assuming you are in the US, the default shoe recommendation is Allen Edmonds, and specifically the Park Avenue. If by "3-4" you mean $300 to $400, then this shoe meets that criterion. Unless you want to buy seconds or used or can catch a decent discount, you probably won't get any higher-end shoes (relative to AE) for that price anyways.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Hi
Do you have a black Captoe Oxford? If not, get one. You will need it.

Cordovan shoes can be very nice but they're not really very formal because Cordovan is inherently more suitable for "heavier" shoes than finer shoes.

Alternatively (to the black Captoe Oxford), go with a Captoe Oxford in some dark brown colour, such as, for example, the G&G Cambridge: http://www.gazianogirling.com/cambridge.html

Stay clear of too much brogueing (the hole patterns in the shoes), don't wear shoes with a storm welt / goyser welt because again, these are not very formal and wouldn't match your suit nor, probably, the work-environment.

If you want to go into colours, look at dark browns, dark red-browns, or if you want be a bit more adventurous you could go for a dark purple/brown tone (like a "vintage rioja")

You can also go for an elegant Derby but just need to consider that it will be less formal than an Oxford and might not be suitable for all types of formal occasions which you may go to.

Cheers
Reto

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads