• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe help.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
I have been searching for a nice pair of pointed plain toe dress shoes for a while now, and have yet to find what I have been looking for in my size. When I was in California, I found numerous pointed plain toe dress shoes at the Cabazon outlets. Those have to be the best outlets on earth. They had every Italian desinger I could think of, from Gucci, to Fendi, to Prada, to Versace, and so on. Anyway I found many pointed toe shoes by those makers, but they never seemed to have my size. The only other shoes I have seen that I am contemplating on getting are the Allen-Edmonds' Westgates.

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_ss...2/sbstl_346021

Is anybody familiar with any other shoes similar to these?? Thanks in advance.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a wholecut - is that what you are looking for or a plain captoe? Lots of options either way.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
these are several pairs of my black shoes a few are plain toe and three of these were purchased from the cabazon outlets as well:

IMGP1679.jpg

most of these are gucci

IMGP1680.jpg

i got the westgates as well but exchanged them for the AE hampstead because the wholecut westgate is a little bulky and usually malformed. meaning each westgate ive seen has a slightly different shape, no consistency, just looks bulbous and amorphous.

IMGP2052.jpg

the middle plain toe black gucci pair in the picture above is a very sleek and beautiful shoe from the gucci outlet store. i got them last year, but seems like every year they have some balmoral plain toe model around fall.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
The middle Gucci pair is exactly what I want. Do you know anybody else who makes styles similar to that one?? I believe the shoe you have is exactly the one I was going to get at the Gucci outlet, because the shoes were 40% off, but they didn't have my size. And I guess the name of the shoe I am referring to is a wholecut.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
well, the fourth from leftside is a Gucci plaintoe and it is not a wholecut.

the 6th from leftside is also a Gucci, it may be a wholecut, but it may not qualify as a wholecut because of a separate piece of stitched leather at the backside heel. it has a medallion on the toe as well.

both of these were 299+tax , yes, 40% off.

the fourth shoe is from a previous season, so once they are gone, they may not have your size again. the wholecut (6th one) is just from last fall 05, so you may be able to check in with them again, to see if they will get your size.

go to their website for the desert hills premium outlets , enter that into the google and get their URL. there, there is a list of all stores and their numbers and store hours.
call gucci every once in awhile, there is a tall young spanish looking gentleman who has been very helpful to me everytime i ve been there or called in.

if you are near beverly hills or south coast, you can always go to gucci boutiques at those areas, for they also go through sales at after christmas and after june when their new fall line up comes in. call them.
all the sale items that do not sell at the boutiques head over to the outlets later. so it may interest you to get a pair on sale at the boutiques for they can be in a more pristine condition than when they arrive shipped to the outlets where hoards of vietnamese and korean shoppers rudely try them on without shoe horns.

(dont mind that above statement, I am korean as well)
smile.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
other than gucci, i think there is a model similar to that 6th shoe wholecut with medallion by borgioli or martegani . both really good italian makes at a great price .
visit www dot francos dot com.

if you are looking for a more fuller plaintoe around the toebox, you may want to go to English makers , and go to Edward green or Lobb. but these can be hard to had at the 300 price mark, usually you can get them at 500-700 dollars at discount.

c&j is also a good english make and the most popular is the WEYMOUTH, you can see a picture of it at www.pediwear dot com. they have the most competitive prices for c&j.
i think you may like the weymouth, it is a shoe that many people here and including me , covet.
the weymouth is a true wholecut plain toe, in burnished brown it is truly decadent.

i will not mention any other luxury brand names other than ferragamo tramezza and gucci. besides these two makes, which know how to make shoes , the others like prada, vuitton, dior, hugo boss and the rest are just companies outsourcing cheap shoe factories either in china or europe to make shoes valued at 100 dollars with an upcharge of 400 to 500 dollars for their brand name stamped or stitched or embossed on the shoe.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
other than gucci, i think there is a model similar to that 6th shoe wholecut with medallion by borgioli or martegani . both really good italian makes at a great price . visit www dot francos dot com. if you are looking for a more fuller plaintoe around the toebox, you may want to go to English makers , and go to Edward green or Lobb. but these can be hard to had at the 300 price mark, usually you can get them at 500-700 dollars at discount. c&j is also a good english make and the most popular is the WEYMOUTH, you can see a picture of it at www.pediwear dot com. they have the most competitive prices for c&j. i think you may like the weymouth, it is a shoe that many people here and including me , covet. the weymouth is a true wholecut plain toe, in burnished brown it is truly decadent. i will not mention any other luxury brand names other than ferragamo tramezza and gucci. besides these two makes, which know how to make shoes , the others like prada, vuitton, dior, hugo boss and the rest are just companies outsourcing cheap shoe factories either in china or europe to make shoes valued at 100 dollars with an upcharge of 400 to 500 dollars for their brand name stamped or stitched or embossed on the shoe.
I wonder why Gucci makes quality shoes and the others don't?? I thought that they were all direct competitors.

Lt.m_castillo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I wonder why Gucci makes quality shoes and the others don't?? I though that they were all direct competitors.

so.. is it safe to assume that prada shoes with a "made in italy" stamp are indeed made in italy? the mark-up for the big brand names are quite ridiculous though.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lt.m_castillo
so.. is it safe to assume that prada shoes with a "made in italy" stamp are indeed made in italy? the mark-up for the big brand names are quite ridiculous though.

Problem is that Made in Italy could mean made in a Italian 5 lira shop-quality manufacturer, too, not just an artisanal setting.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of all "Made in Italy" shoes, I think ~10% of them are excellent quality of shoes. $70 ALDO shoes that are complete piece of sh!t are also made in italy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads