• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Heel Grips

josiahsiung

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get extra-thick heel grips?

I just bought a pair of Johnston and Murphys in their smallest size (6), but it's just a tad bit large and my heel keeps on slipping in and out when I walk. I'm pretty sure a good pair of thick heel grips will solve the problem. The ones that I bought at the local store are just a bit too slim, so I'm looking to get extra-thick ones.

Thanks!

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josiahsiung
Does anyone know where I can get extra-thick heel grips?

I just bought a pair of Johnston and Murphys in their smallest size (6), but it's just a tad bit large and my heel keeps on slipping in and out when I walk. I'm pretty sure a good pair of thick heel grips will solve the problem. The ones that I bought at the local store are just a bit too slim, so I'm looking to get extra-thick ones.

Thanks!

Heels grips are for women's pumps, men should not use them, they don't stick to your socks. What you need are tongue pads which will help 'lock' your foot in place so that your heel does not move up when you walk. You can find them at Nordstrom.

josiahsiung

Reaction score
hmm. the container said "for men and women". is there a particular reason why it would only be for women? right now my shoe already has insoles and a heel grip (slim one), if I just add a tongue pad would that be the best? or is that just overdoing it.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
hmm. the container said "for men and women". is there a particular reason why it would only be for women? right now my shoe already has insoles and a heel grip (slim one), if I just add a tongue pad would that be the best? or is that just overdoing it.

obviously they are not really sex oriented but they simply don't work for men, unless you are going sockless. I worked in both departments (men's & women's shoes) for 6 years and they never worked for men. The grip part of the heel grip does not stick to men's socks so therefore no matter how thick it is, it will still slip. In reality it simply sounds like the shoes are too big for you. But considering that I have a slim, low volume foot, I too know what it's like to make shoes work. Slip-on's are hard for me to fit and I have also been known to have some sort of cushioned insole (to take up volume) as well as a tongue pad so my heel does not slip, but never a heel grip. I have attempted them and they don't work but make it worse. Stick with the tongue pad, it does help but nothing is guaranteed to make a shoe that doesn't truly fit, fit.

.Kurtz.

Reaction score

It might have something to do with men's shoes being quite a lot heavier than those of women.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you need to take up more room, bring your shoes to a local cobbler and have them install back liners.

josiahsiung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
If you need to take up more room, bring your shoes to a local cobbler and have them install back liners.

what are back liners? sorry, I'm not too knowledgable about all this.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what are back liners? sorry, I'm not too knowledgable about all this.

Back liners are a piece of leather stitched into the counter area. They are used for two purposes.
1. To take up room when the heel is loose.
2. Often the counter (heel) liners wear out. Back liners are used to repair worn counter liners.

josiahsiung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Back liners are a piece of leather stitched into the counter area. They are used for two purposes.
1. To take up room when the heel is loose.
2. Often the counter (heel) liners wear out. Back liners are used to repair worn counter liners.

are these jobs very costly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads