• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Geeks - What is a "Combination Last"?

Insight

Reaction score
I have seen this particularly used in reference to some of Alden's lasts. Anyone know?

BBC

Reaction score
It means the ball of the last and the heel are different widths (aha!). In other words, instead of a "D" width ball having a typical "D" width heel, the combination last shoe has a "B" width heel, which makes for a finer fitting shoe. Combination lasts are always two sizes different between ball/heel, e.g. E/C, D/B, C/A, A/AAA. Combination lasts used to be much more common and were used by most American shoe manufacturers (Nettleton, Hanover, Bostonian, etc.). Usually the ball width is listed first, but some companies like Nettleton listed the heel width first.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone give that man a prize.

Thread over.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. But I have standard Aldens which are supposedly B heels which are pretty roomy. You mean a normal shoe used to be even looser?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
It means the ball of the last and the heel are different widths (aha!). In other words, instead of a "D" width ball having a typical "D" width heel, the combination last shoe has a "B" width heel, which makes for a finer fitting shoe.

“Combination last” is a bit of a red herring, as there is only one possible combination: the heel width is always two measures down from the ball width.

Alden’s markings look like this (heel width first, ball width second): D/EE - B/D - AA/A

Originally Posted by Alden-of-Carmel
The size is always written as the length of the shoe, and under that, the width of the shoe, such as:
9 10 1/2
or
C/E B/D
In these examples, 9 and 10 1/2 are the length, and C/E and B/D are the width.
In U.S. shoe sizing, the widths are: A & B = Narrow, C & D = Medium, E, EE & EEE =Wide.
Inside each Alden shoe, the width of the shoes are written as:
A/C, B/D, C/E, etc.....
The width is written as a 'fraction', and the bottom of that 'fraction', (the denominator) is the width of the shoe.
Example: C/E = E width, or B/D = D width

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm

Unfortunately other combinations are not possible, someone who has a wide ball but a narrow heel cannot be accommodated.
(No AA/D lasts for example, D comes always with a B heel).

The relationship between front and heel stays always the same. It is possible, that many years ago, ball and heel width could have been chosen individually and truly combined. But that is not the case today.

(It like a suit which gets only produced with on 'drop', let's say '6'. The relationship between chest and waist, stays always the same: 6 inches.
So a size 38 (chest measurement) suit, comes with 32" (waist) trousers; a suit size 44 comes with 38" trousers.)

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
"Combination last" is a bit of a red herring, as there is only one possible combination: the heel width is always two measures down from the ball width.

That was my understanding, e.g. that most/all makers do in fact use combination lasts even if they aren't advertised or labelled as such.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show:

Originally Posted by Insight
I have seen this particularly used in reference to some of Alden's lasts. Anyone know?

Fat lady:

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

luneyriley

Reaction score
Hmmm...doesn't quite explain the 9 1/2 A's with a triple-A heel that's on my foot as I write.

aintabgirl

Reaction score
Combination last refers to shoes which combine wider and narrower widths. For instance, the toe box may be a "B" width, but the heel may be "AA" width. My heels are narrow, but I'm more comfortable with an average toe box, so a combination last works well for me. If I get a typical medium width shoe, unless it's an athletic shoe with which I intend to wear a heavy sock, the heel is too wide and "slips."

Shrink1

Reaction score
Have found Hanover 10d fit me.Bought a pair of Hanover Cordovans ,thought were D but heel loose,closer inspection inside marked 10 D B, so the B denotes a larger heel fitting ?

JimInSeattle

Reaction score
So, I have 11 B/AAAA feet, which, of course, is impossible to fit. I settle on shoes that are sloppy in the heel, generally New Balance.
I also need a wide and tall toe box. Happy with walking shoes. Need to have room for custom orthotics.

Where can I find something more-or-less comfortable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads