• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe geeks, are these Church's, Green or Crockett?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've searched and the evidence is pointing to Church's with Green a possibilty. They are "Brooks English Made Exclusively in England for Brooks Brothers" numbers are as follows:
10 1/2 C345 (or 348,346)

BTW, they look a lot better than in this pic.

KIF_2966.jpg

Thanks

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how the shoe looks like it's just sitting on your lap, like a baby! Unless I'm seeing this wrong...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think the Brooks English were made by Church's, while Green and C&J made/make the Peal line.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I think the Brooks English were made by Church's, while Green and C&J made/make the Peal line.
Well, there was at least one Brooks English made by EG that was shown in someone's visit to Green's shop.

That might have been an aberration.

Show us pictures of the inside.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it's handwritten script, I would lean in the direction of C&J or Edward Green. If the script is printed, particularly in a small serif, then my vote would favor Church's (I have a pair of monk's that I bought deadstock from the English made line).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks everyone. Inside is faded, I'll take pics but don't know how they'll come out. The writing is handwritten. The sole has topy's, but the bit of the original sole that I can see is channeled, and has Made In England in small block letters across the width next to the heel. The last is narrow and on the true to size side of things. Leather quality seems very good as it is not very creased and has antiqued lovely. All iin all, seemingly well made and good quality.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Well, there was at least one Brooks English made by EG that was shown in someone's visit to Green's shop.

That might have been an aberration.

Show us pictures of the inside.

Most of the Brooks English shoes I've seen have been quite nice. This one looks like a great shoe and I'll bet it would perk up even more with a little bit of conditioner and a fresh polish--especially if you take a toothpick and clean the brogueing; arduous work but it pays off (they are, after all, your shoes). I have a Brooks English single monk that does appear to have been made by EG; alas, I never could get a picture of the handwriting to submit to the oracles here. The numbering you describe, however, does not sound like it comes from an EG shoe. I agree that a key distinction will be whether the last, size, and production numbers are stamped or written. More shoe construction details would also help. Are the soles chanelled? Is the shoe fully leather lined? A nod in Church's direction would be a partial linen lining at the toes. Anyway, congratulations on your shoe. Where did you find it?

pejsek

Reaction score
Okay, this will teach me to take my time formulating a reply! A channeled sole is unlikely to be Church's. Most of the Brooks English shoes also had Brooks Bros stamped on the sole. Like yours, the sole of the Brooks English shoe I suspect to be an EG has Made In England stamped on it in block letters, but running lengthwise in the same font and style as older EGs.

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
BTW, they look a lot better than in this pic.

Is this due to the flash/lighting or did someone treated the shoe with acetone or something similar?

Also there is some strange bulge at the bottom eylets.

horton

Reaction score
They look a lot like C&J Clifford but I'm fairly sure they're not. I have the Cliffords in that color and the medallion is different where the horns are (if you think of it as a Rams head). Great looking shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads