• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe fitting question

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
Hi styleforum,

I just received a pair of cap toe oxfords in a last I've never tried before. I think the fit is just right length and width wise but I am a bit worried about the upper vamp area.
When I walk my feet are slightly rubbing against the vamp right above the cap toe. Is this what is known as a "low instep"?

Now I have only walked around in the house and it's no problem, but I don't know how my feet will feel after wearing them for a long day, and once I find out it will be too late to return them.
My questions are:

1. Should I return them and try another brand/last?
2. Will they feel better with wear as the leather molds to my shape?
3. If needed, can the shoe vamp be stretched to fit better at a cobbler?

I'm pretty sure I would experience heel slippage if I went up a size.

Here's a pic demonstrating the area I'm concerned about:

ThomGault

Reaction score
What brand of shoes? I presume you don't live near enough to a store to be properly fitted. Perhaps you could order the next largest size or width and try them all on in the comfort of your own home?

The fit will also change as the leather expands, of course. Have you talked to a cobbler for their opinion? I've been able to stretch that area a bit with my shoes using my own stretcher, but its not quite as easy as stretching the toe area.

Last edited:

TwillPoplin

Reaction score
What brand of shoes? I presume you don't live near enough to a store to be properly fitted. Perhaps you could order the next largest size or width and try them all on in the comfort of your own home?

The fit will also change as the leather expands, of course. Have you talked to a cobbler for their opinion? I've been able to stretch that area a bit with my shoes using my own stretcher, but its not quite as easy as stretching the the area.
Yanko. Unfortunately there are no quality shoe stores in my area so I have to resort to online retailers.
I have not yet spoken to a cobbler, thought I'd ask the internet first :)

ThomGault

Reaction score
Yeah, that sucks. I'd still try an experienced local cobbler who can put their hands on the shoes and see your feet in them, so you can get some personalized advice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads