• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Fit - too tight?

tommib

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a very nice pair of new shoes which I've worn once meaning they can't be returned. I'm slightly worried their too tight. The leather is very nice and soft. I can feel my little toe touching the side of the shoe, but its not uncomfortable, just a bit annoying or distracting as I'm used to roomier trainers. I haven't worn formal shoes for over a year now and they are rather a slim design.

Is it normal for them to fit like this?

Thanks, Tom.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your toe shouldn't be too cramped - you can wear them for a few weeks, uncomfortably, and see if they adapt to your feet. If not, you can take them to a cobbler and have them stretched a wee bit but don't expect a miracle.

Otherwise, there's always the Buying and Selling forum.
wink.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They sound all right - most of my dress shoes fit semi-snug around the little toe, at least at first, and it's never been a problem. If it continues to bother you, there are various options including stretching them yourself with trees (you do have trees, right?) or with a stretcher or taking them in to have stretching done professionaly as kronik said above.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You specify there's no pain, which tells me they aren't too tight. It's true that athletic shoes feel different, mainly because of the mesh pannels and padding. Give it a short bit and they'll feel just fine.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's such a fine line. I have a pair of AE that are just tight enough that I'm always aware of the stress on my little toe. I can get through the day with them, but that's dependent on not having to walk any distance. As such, I rarely wear them, and have been thinking of selling them.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that a bit tight is better than a bit loose. A bit tight and they will fit well someday, a bit loose on they never will.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
I think that a bit tight is better than a bit loose. A bit tight and they will fit well someday, a bit loose on they never will.

Agreed. Very tight, on the other hand, is a bad thing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks

I always thought the opposite, as shoes that are just *a bit* loose can be perfectly fitting with a foam insole. Bit tight always seems to pinch somewhere, as IME shoes never stretch very much for me to notice.

UR003

Reaction score
Construction of the shoes is also something to take into consideration. If the shoes are Goodyear made, the cork layer that is between the insole and the sole should "adapt" to your feet. By that I mean that your feet will settle in the cork, thereby you should gain another 1/4 size. (By insole I mean the standard insole, not a separate insole that you buy later.)

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of insoles, but find that a few of my older shoes now are a bit loose *with* the insole.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I recently posted a remedy to alieviate the pressure at that part of the shoe on an original post by AJL. It's the broom stick method. If you cannot find it, I'll post again. If you have a soreness on your little toe from ill fitting shoes, you will be super sensitive there. I suggest you wear a corn pad until the tenderness goes away or check with your doctor to see if you indeed have a corn.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist Please!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has ever been addressed on the forum but take into consideration this. As we get older our body is changing in many ways and our feet get bigger. Also, when we gain weight, this also changes the size.
If you haven't had your feet properly measured by a qualified fitter with a Brannock device, do it. Most of you will be surprised by what you discover.

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist Please!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
But that wouldn't seem to apply if they're too tight across the toes, say, only if they're tight across the instep. Or am I missing something?
The toe part of a cork bed insole will also mold to a wearer's foot over time. You can see it if you look in a well-worn pair of shoes.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The toe part of a cork bed insole will also mold to a wearer's foot over time. You can see it if you look in a well-worn pair of shoes.

True, but the added circumference from such depressions is quite minimal. Leather stretch accounts for much, much more of this change.

Eskie

Reaction score
Personally, I don't believe that shoes which feel "tight" will ever break in to become comfortable. I also do not believe in wearing any shoe that would make it uncomfortable to spend a day walking. I agree proper sizing is important, and yes, my feet are larger now than when younger. Much of your body alters size as you get older, and it seems never for the better.

Still, I do not think I should need to stretch a shoe to improve the fit, it should be the correct size and last right at the time of purchase. I know it can be difficult to find the right fit, but once found, buy up all you can. It's never worth developing a corn or bunion because you KNOW that the shoe is marked as the right size for your foot. While wearing athletic shoes will certainly feel different than wearing a dress shoe, you should still at least be able to walk some distance in your dress shoes. Weather permitting, I walk to and from my office each day, which is about 1 mile from my home. If a shoe doesn't pass that test, it's not meant for my feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics