• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe fit sell/fix?

gdean2323

Reaction score
I bought my first pair of real shoes recently:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/2989559.shtml

I used to base the fit of the shoe on wear my toes fell inside the shoe. However the salesmen told me that with this style of shoe I needed to line up the widest part of my foot (the bone by the big toe) with the right spot in the shoe. I did so and happily walked away with a size 11.

The problem is, after wearing them a few (6) times, I can't help but think they are slightly too big:

1) I have to lace them up pretty tight to keep my foot from feeling loose
2) I am constantly kicking stuff with my toe, as if I can't judge wear my shoe ends vs my foot.

I guess #2 could be that I have never worn such a pointy shoe before, but what really concerns me, is #1.

I was thinking of trying a tongue pad to correct #1, but I am worried that the shoe is just plain too big.

What do you gentlemen suggest I do? Perhaps I could sell the shoe on eBay, since I've only worn it a few times, and buy the next size down.

oneade

Reaction score
not ideal but you could try adding an inner sole which would make less space for the foot to move around.

ziggysnorkel

Reaction score
That sucks. You might try to complain and get an exchange or return for the correct size. Generally, Ferragamos run narrow, so they end up being uncomfortable for anyone I've known to wear them. If you bought your shoes at Nordstroms, I think they have a great return policy. So you should give it a try.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdean2323
I bought my first pair of real shoes recently:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/2989559.shtml

I used to base the fit of the shoe on wear my toes fell inside the shoe. However the salesmen told me that with this style of shoe I needed to line up the widest part of my foot (the bone by the big toe) with the right spot in the shoe. I did so and happily walked away with a size 11.

The problem is, after wearing them a few (6) times, I can't help but think they are slightly too big:

1) I have to lace them up pretty tight to keep my foot from feeling loose
2) I am constantly kicking stuff with my toe, as if I can't judge wear my shoe ends vs my foot.

I guess #2 could be that I have never worn such a pointy shoe before, but what really concerns me, is #1.

I was thinking of trying a tongue pad to correct #1, but I am worried that the shoe is just plain too big.

What do you gentlemen suggest I do? Perhaps I could sell the shoe on eBay, since I've only worn it a few times, and buy the next size down.

Try a tongue pad then try two pairs of socks, even a good athletic white sock under a black sock can work wonders. If that doesn't work, your best bet may be to get something for them.

gdean2323

Reaction score
I did buy them at Nordstroms, however the first thing I did was have taps put on them. I'm guessing they wont accept them as a return. Might be worth a try though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads